This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Grub names Zorin OS as ubuntu

Chesus

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49:15 am

Hey
I have just undertaken a fresh install of Zorin OS x64 5.1 (dual booting windows 7 and zorin) all is well however in grub it lists Zorin as ubuntu... I understand that Zorin is a branch of ubuntu and so it makes sense for it to be called ubuntu but I am planning on installing ubuntu soon... and will have no idea on how to distinguish between the two. Is there any way of changing the name in grub? (And make sure that every kernal update hence forth is named Zorin OS?)
After 1 1/2 years I have moved on from Fedora KDE so I am completely new to Zorin OS (and gnome) and can't wait to experiment with it.
Cheers David

Wolfman

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07:51 pm

Hi,

did you do a complete install including formatting the home partition??. If you are changing your OS, you should always format both root and home. (after backing up your data on an external drive of course!).

If you install Ubuntu; it should recognise Zorin, so I wouldn't worry about it!!.

Here is a long thing about GRUB:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Regards Wolfman:)

Chesus

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:57:44 pm

Thanks for the reply
Yeah I did a complete fresh install of Zorin OS, before I was on a one month break from Linux disto's and my hard drive was 100% windows... only 3 days ago I went into windows disk manager shrunk my windows partition space (leaving around 100gb of free space for Zorin) then booted into live mode and installed Zorin selecting the option to install along side windows. After the reboot I had noticed that Zorin was named Ubuntu (options available where Ubuntu, Ubuntu safe mode, memory test, another memory test then windows 7), hit enter and continued with Zorin installed all the updates (including the kernal) rebooted and still Zorin was labeled as Ubuntu.
Is this actually normal, other people who are dual booting does Grub say Ubuntu instead of Zorin?