This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Google integration in 12 - can it be disabled?

WinX_Refugee

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:06:28 am

While I was waiting for Zorin 12, I began playing around with Mint Cinnamon on a USB with persistence, and I think it would likely work well for me, but I'm also still considering Zorin 12.

Swarfendor437, you mentioned that with Zorin 12 beta, it crashed when you uninstalled all of the Google goodies. What is your assessment now of the degree of Google integration in the final release? Can Google and/or the telemetry be shut down without tanking the OS? I use Firefox and Pale Moon, and when I want local weather, I have a couple of websites I use -- I don't need or want it or other such tracking gadgets on my desktop.

If you've successfully disabled the tracking/telemetry, could you specify how you did that, please?

star treker

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:07:08 am

Removing the Google integration that is cemented into the system, is like removing the axle off of a car and wondering why the back wheels arn't turning when you goose the engine. However, having said that, Google integration is nowhere near as bad as what Microsoft is doing with their Windows 10. But of course what is great about Linux is that you have a choice. If you want Zorin, have a cup of Zorin. If you want Cinnamon, have a cup of Cinnamon, etc.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:20:26 am

Hi I will backup my data first before following Artyomvs advice of using Synaptic Package Manager to remove all things Google. Wolfman posted how to remove Zeitgeist from Zorin which I repeated in my Miscellanea thread.

WinX_Refugee

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:50:37 am

Thanks, Swarf. I've made notes about how to delete Zeitgeist as well as Chromium (that "little" notes file is getting pretty long), and I'll await your results and comments re all things Google.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25:30 pm

OK, So I launched synaptic and these are the packages that came back marked after putting 'Google' in the search filter:

Google1.jpg

Google2.jpg

Google3.jpg

The last marked package being telepathy-gabble.

Now to see what happens when I remove the Google packages including those not necessarily associated with Google as per the Screenshots! :o

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:37:58 pm

Needless to say I did not proceed to remove everything - what is interesting is that a lot of other packages get removed that you don't necessarily want to remove and if they are removed some Google stuff gets added into the system vis-a-vis Android Packages!

e.g.,
libandroid-properties1
libgoogle-glog0v5

So I could end up with a butchered system. I need to take some time to consider what to do next - period! :shock: :o :( :? :evil: :roll: :!: :?: :arrow: :( :x :cry:

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45:56 pm

OK, I am going to remove 4 items:

account-plugin-google
account-plugin-yahoo (I never use their doo-doo services!)
gnome online miners with the description "Crawls through your online content" oh really!
libaccount-plugin-google

I was also going to remove:
fonts-roboto
fonts-roboto-hinted - this latter one mentions Google but if you select it the one above also gets selected and promptly advises that all Zorin Themes and Premium Content gets removed! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :x

OK - To be removed comes up with:
account-plugin-google
account-plugin-yahoo
gnome-documents
gnome-online-miners
gnome-photos
libaccount-plugin-google
unity-control-center-signon

But currently getting unable to remove due to 'held packages' - just run it again and now they are gone!

WinX_Refugee

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:11:37 pm

And all is well? Are you personally satisfied with this level of de-Googlification? I trust Google no more than I trust Microsoft.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:33:48 am

The main sticking point for me now is the Robot font. I am going to see if I can cheat the system. I have started preliminary process of copying the offensive font into a separate folder and copied Liberation fonts to another. My intention is to rename Liberation as Robot and swap them out. If it does not work I may end up moving to SolydX Community Edition. :cry:

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17:26 pm

Sorry WinX_refugee, I did not answer your last question - yes all is well - I decided not to swap out Roboto font for Liberation Font - I have been involved in other activities, including downloading free alternatives to the FF Din font which is simlar to Roboto from here:

http://fontsov.com/category/d.html?page=11

Stay tuned!

bigcool1996

Mon May 25, 2020 1:06:22 am

Yes, Swarfendor437. I'm waiting for Zorin 12 and I think so Removing the Google integration that is cemented into the system is a working terrible. Google integration is nowhere near as bad as what Microsoft is doing with their Windows 10.

https://fontsio.com/kryptonian-font-download/