This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Live Zorin on USB

light_cannon

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:49:00 pm

Hello Zorin users

I am new to linux, and that's why I have gone to Zorin :D

I am not sure if this the right place, but I have some question I wish to have answers from them

1 - How can I install Zorin 12 on a USB ? I want to have it bootable on a flash usb so that when I want to use it I plug the usb and restart, when finished, remove it and boot normally from windows

I want a detailed guide as I am new to linux

2 - when doing the above, will the OS see my files normally ? can I access the same files I access when on windows ? and when I do changes will this be saved or what ?

Thank's in advance :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:14:55 pm

Follow the guide here:

https://zorinos.com/help/install-zorin-os/

The only difference is you won't install you get the same boot options to boot into live mode. You should be able to access your Windows files as most distributions come with ntfs3g by default which allows accessing files on NTFS partitions. ;) :D

MBMz10

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15:14 am

Swarfendor437 I'm not sure the Zorinos guide will be that much help in this case if I understand the question correctly as the Zorin guide is either alongside current OS (create a new partition on the same drive) or erase the current OS and replace with Zorin OS or if you mean just to use the USB to boot up Zorin without installing it and any 'changes' made to Windows files will be saved back to the Windows drive. Or if light_cannon wants to save changes to Zorin as well?

This guide is to install Zorin OS onto a USB Flash drive without changing your current Windows setup.

Assuming you have created a bootable USB drive or DVD with Zorin OS iso image on it and have another USB Flash drive to install Zorin onto.

1. Disconnect the drive with Windows on it, open the computer and remove the cables going to the Windows drive (I recommend doing this to all the drives for safety :D )

2. Plug in the drive you want to install Zorin onto (USB Flash in this case) and the USB bootable installation drive or DVD and boot from it. Then just choose the USB Flash drive at the appropriate part of the installation process (it should be the only choice if the other drives are disconnected). You can select the "Erase disk and install Zorin" option and press "Install Now" safely if the other drives (Windows) are disconnected and there is nothing else on the drive you want to keep!

3. Reboot using the new Zorin OS USB Flash (with the installation USB or DVD drive removed of course) to test it works OK before reconnecting your other internal drives. Then reconnect your other drives and test it all works OK and that you can browse your Windows files from Zorin and boot to Windows etc.

I haven't done this for a while myself so a little rusty but that should just about get you there. Main thing is remove the other drives before installing... ;)

Another option maybe to create a bootable USB installation drive with 'persistence' using something like Unetbootin and just use that.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35:14 am

Hi MBMz10 the OP stated they just wanted live USB not persistence. They will need to install Etcher on Windows to create USB. I didn't have any luck with it as AV thought it suspicious.

MBMz10

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:22:10 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi MBMz10 the OP stated they just wanted live USB not persistence. They will need to install Etcher on Windows to create USB. I didn't have any luck with it as AV thought it suspicious.

Cool, sometimes just understanding the question or intention of the post is half the fun!
Does my procedure look about right in any case?

And good old Windows/AV to the rescue again. Warning Will Robinson Danger Danger...

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:43:44 pm

For installing to hard drive I would say yes but I don't see the need to remove the existing hard drive if all one is doing is testing to live boot off of USB or other media - when it comes to installing to a different hard drive then yes, disconnect the main drive. ;) :D

light_cannon

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:50:01 pm

Thank's all for help :D

it seems my question is not clear to some extent , I want to install Zorin on a USB drive so that when I plug it and boot, I can run Zorin as if I installed it along side with windows ( I hope I am clear now )

the other thing was accessing my files and folders, I want to view ,edit ,even run ( with wyne for exe files ) ... etc, when I return to windows again, will the changed will be applied ?

1. Disconnect the drive with Windows on it, open the computer and remove the cables going to the Windows drive (I recommend doing this to all the drives for safety :D )

MBMz10, I can't understand this point ,can u explain it more ?

Sorry if my questions are too basic, I am new :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:57:29 pm

OK, you should be able to edit files from Windows partition and save them back (I think) but in terms of Wine you are going to have some issues as it would mean you installing the apps each time you booted into live mode - what you really need is a big enough memory stick to include some 'persistence' - in other words the ability to save to the 'live' operating system of Zorin.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/how- ... -and-linux

MBMz10

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06:12 pm

Hi light_cannon. Typically someone will watch a youtube video of a Linux distro, Zorin in this case, and decide they like it, download Zorin and "burn" it to a USB or DVD, then boot it up in "live mode" and play with it, test that their Internet sound printer and other hardware will work and then "install" it, either "along side" or "over" Windows (wipe out windows).

As I assume you want to "install" it to a USB flash drive but be able to remove that flash drive and return to Windows normally my guide was written with this intent.

Normally when you install 'along side' so that at boot up you can choose Windows or Zorin, changes are made to the MBR (master boot record) of the Windows installation, GRUB the Linux equivalent of MBR, overwrites the Windows MBR with it own instructions, therefore making changes to your Windows hard drive/install.

By removing/disconnecting the Windows drive you prevent GRUB from making changes to it while "installing" Zorin onto your USB flash drive. So when you remove the Zorin USB flash drive your system is just the same as it was before, no changes have been made to your original set up. It is a safety procedure, like a form of insurance.

The fact that you didn't understand why I mentioned remove/disconnect the Windows hard drive makes me think you just want to run in "live mode" without "installing" but access your windows files and make changes to them?

Confusion seems to be the use of the word "Install" I think!
So do you want to "burn" it to USB and run in "live mode" or "install" it on another flash drive?

Have you downloaded Zorin and "burnt" it to a USB or DVD yet and booted up your system with it and tested if you can see/change your Windows files?

I hope this helps clarify things.

MBMz10

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50:28 pm

I made a bit of a guide a while back here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_j_ODK9HAk although I am using Linux in the tutorial and you would most likely be doing this on Windows it may help answer some of your questions regarding downloading and 'burning' to USB.
Be sure to read my pinned comment in the comments below as I made a small error that is explained there.

Cheers

robertsaron

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:39:15 pm

I watched Your youtube video, and it outlines how to put the ISO onto a usb thumb, which can be used to install zorin onto another drive.

What I am looking for is a full install of Zorin onto a thumb drive, that does not mess with the Windows MBR. This install on the USB thumb drive would function as if it was a fully installed OS.

All the tutorials online point to windows, or Ubuntu. How can I from with in Zorin make a USB drive fully boot able with Zorin OS installed?

Aravisian

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:31:13 am

robertsaron wrote:I watched Your youtube video, and it outlines how to put the ISO onto a usb thumb, which can be used to install zorin onto another drive.

What I am looking for is a full install of Zorin onto a thumb drive, that does not mess with the Windows MBR. This install on the USB thumb drive would function as if it was a fully installed OS.

All the tutorials online point to windows, or Ubuntu. How can I from with in Zorin make a USB drive fully boot able with Zorin OS installed?

Are articles like these:
https://www.dionysopoulos.me/portable-u ... n-usb-hdd/
Unhelpful?

Zorin is strongly based on Ubuntu.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:12:34 pm

Hi, read this thread in its entirety apart from the last 3 posts.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171&p=41217&hilit=persistence#p41217

robertsaron

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:00:42 pm

I had to install the the OS from the install disc, and use a computer that has UEFi. Once that was done, it took a bit of tinkering in the BIOS, to boot from the usb thumb drive.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30:57 pm

Also checkout Henriolavi's guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6585&p=31247&hilit=persistence#p31247