This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

i have java but some programs cant find it

davidlkay86

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25:52 pm

hey im a newb to linux, a windows kid growing up i hadnt any idea of the wonders of a linux os, sure the kids in my old computer classes used to swear by it back around the time red hat first came out. but i assumed it to be to difficult or confusing (didnt no about the difference between ease of use and user friendly). i descovered zorin while looking for a live cd to open up a laptop which wouldnt get past the bootscreen. i didnt know there were so many distro's out there, i didnt even know what a distro was. zorin just happened to be the first one i saw with a great review i am running zorin 3.1.1 32 bit on a toshiba satellite with a pentium t3400 2.16 ghz and 2 gib ram. i downloaded dexterwire and installed it through wine, the installation went fine but when i tried running the program a box pops up saying java was not found on your computer, would you like to download it? with ok or cancel . and the process is then killed when i click cancel and clicking ok brings me to the java website. it took me a while to realize that i already had java on my device, after downloading and trying to install java from several sources. there are a few other programs like that i was unable to install and have work correctly on zorin like cubase sx 3 and avs video converter, some programs have bad glitches or freeze up while others simply wont open. sometimes i install a program and then cant figure out which file in that programs folder is the one that runs the program i know that trying to use programs meant for windows can be difficult to do with linux but if there's any tips you might have i would love to hear them. i have more issues but will post under a different subject

Wolfman

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:37:15 pm

Hi,

try this thread first:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1340

Regards Wolfman:)

davidlkay86

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:50:01 am

hey wolfman thank you for replying to me promptly, the information in the other thread was of no use to me but after rattling my brain for a few hours or 18, i realized that the programs that will not work with java are only the programs installed through wine. and since wine saves to filepaths resembling windows i figured maybe the programs are looking for java in windows, so i downloaded the java 6 for win xp, there are 2 versions the online one will not install but the offline one installs the first try with wine and afterwards everything worked and all my problems are over, maybe u could tell the guy in the other thread to try it. now if i could only get past the problem of having media player open EVERY folder in the start menu and when i click "view containing folder" after downloading something.

davidlkay86

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:51:57 am

if you download the win xp online version when you try to install with wine the java applet will open then crash and you will get an error message saying failure to download
screenshot javafail.jpg
screenshot javafail.jpg (82.03 KiB)

Wolfman

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:41:28 am

David,

see your other post about opening files!!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1095&p=3919#p3919

Regards Wolfman :D