This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Main Menu issue.....

ElEdwards

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22:00 am

While I'm loving v5.2, I've noticed something that is a little weird.... any time I update something or add software, the Main Menu entries in the first screen are all duplicated; if I select Accessories or anything else, that menu is normal...but the Main has duplicate entries; there's even suddenly a scroll bar to go through them all.

If I reboot, then the Main Menu is back to the normal list (no scroll bars).

Is there a way to fix this, other than rebooting?

El

Deadly Ernest

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:19:23 pm

I noticed a similar thing, but it didn't always happen. Then I suspected it was just showing the recently used items list in the main menu - so I turned off the 'Show recent Items' option, they went away and it stopped happening.

You may need to do the same

ElEdwards

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:30:02 pm

OK...and this 'Show Recent Items' option is located in ...... ?????

....and shouldn't the original poster (me!) be marking this as SOLVED when I have solved it on my installation?? Just because someone posted a solution doesn't mean it's solved for me, you know?

Deadly Ernest

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:47:04 pm

G'day,

I don't know who changed the status, but I didn't.

When I first loaded Zorin 05 a few weeks back, I changed the 'Show Recent Items' setting. A few days later I changed to the Win 2000 look with the Zorin Changer. From memory, I'm fairly certain the setting you want is one of the sub windows that comes up with the start button settings window when you right click on the start button - the same group that you use to change the way the Start button looks. Not 100% positive, but I think it's there, somewhere.

Ernest

ElEdwards

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:10:48 pm

Thanks. I still am using the default look and that setting isn't there. I'll keep searching.
....and I removed the SOLVED statement from the posts I could edit because this isn't yet solved for me.

Deadly Ernest

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:42:51 am

When I first installed Zorin I set up all the basic changes I wanted, and this was one of those - that was a couple of weeks back. Since then, I switched to the Win 2000 look after disabling a lot of optional software etc I didn't want to use, I also removed all that stuff from my main menu.

I'm fairly certain the item is in a sub-window of the applet that lets you change the look of the start menu button, not sure how you get that now. Thought it was done by a right click on the button and under properties or the like.

During the week, I'm loading Zorin on another machine and will see where it is when I do that. I'll post how to find it when I do.

Ernest

ElEdwards

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:08:23 am

Thanks, Ernest :) I appreciate it.

Deadly Ernest

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45:41 pm

G'day Swarfendor437,

What I posted should be the answer, once he can find the where the applet that allows him to change that setting is - I did it several days ago and have since changed to the Win 2000 look. I'm fairly certain the setting is in one of the sub-window or sub-menu items on the applet used to change the start button.

Ernest

Deadly Ernest

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:42:45 am

G'day,

Here is how I changed the behaviour in this system I just built.

-In the Gnome Desktop, you go to the round 'Z' Button that acts as the start button - this is usually on the far left of the panel, in this case it was in the lower left corner.

-Right click on the button. This open a Applet Window where you can change the look of the button and its style.

-The applet has a number of tabs, the second tab from the left is 'Preferences' - click on this tab. This will show a window with a whole list of options you tick or untick by clicking on the box beside them.

-Near the bottom of this window is a setting that allows you to set the number of recent items to be shown in the list - set this to '0'

Check the other options and make sure they show what you want. I unchecked everything in the list.

Hope this helps you,

Ernest

ElEdwards

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:48:46 am

Deadly Ernest wrote:-Near the bottom of this window is a setting that allows you to set the number of recent items to be shown in the list - set this to '0'

Thanks.... it was set to 10.0, However, I tried changing it to 0 but when I tab off of it, it changes to '1.0'. I guess I'll always have 1 recent item... weird.
Also, why is this particular field set up so '1.1' or '5.7' can be entered?? A count of recent items should be whole numbers only, IMO.

El

Deadly Ernest

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:38:25 am

It's a crazy, I know, but that's the way it is. At least at the count of 1, it's a lot easier to manage. I find it interesting the first time I did this I got to set it at zero, but now it only goes down to 1. When I switch to the Win 2000 look, that recent list goes away, too. I find the Win Classic look of the menus in the Win 2000 Look Option of the Look Changer to be much cleaner and easier to use.

Ernest

BTW - When you regard this issue as solved, would you mind noting so in the title and marking it that way, so we know you're happy with the end result. It also makes it easier for others looking to resolve the same issue, they can see an answer marked Solved and go straight to it. Thanks.