This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[resolved] Firefox

Finston Pickle

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:26:46 pm

I've just started using Firefox 57.0 (having been a long term Firefox user).

Whatever they have done has transformed the response of Firefox on my laptop using Zorin 12 - good work Mozilla!

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:05:30 pm

It certainly is! :D

zorinantwerp

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:43:52 pm

last couple of years I drifted away to Google Chromium for good reasons. now I'm back on track too with Firefox :)

zordkhan

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16:30 am

Hm... Actually I had some issues.

Background:
I am still very new to Zorin but a Windows crisis forced me to try Linux - first I tried Zorin Lite on an old laptop. And I liked it so much I installed Zorin Ultimate alongside Windows on my newest laptop.

Problem is that in Zorin Lite (older laptop) I downloaded Firefox and although it starts up it only shows the web content _very_ slowly... if at all. Often the page is just blank. (I know Internet is working, because Chromium browser works fine.)

For Comparison:
On the newer laptop with Zorin Ultimate, I downloaded Firefox and it works fine.

Question:
What could be the issue on the old laptop with Zorin Lite? The two downloads happened within 3 days of each other (and in fact in Firefox I cannot see how to check which version I have ... shouldn't there be an "about" somewhere? )

thanks

Finston Pickle

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06:39 am

The last Zorin 12 OS update slowed Firefox somewhat - however, a few tweeks restored things.

I wil post what I did under my DNS thread.

driver8

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09:51 pm

Since there is already a Firefox thread...

I have to say I am a bit irritated at the moment. Does anyone know why zorin is highjacking the firefox home setting? I am a new user to the distro and am coming from Windows 10 primarily (though I have tinkered with other linux distros) and this is the type of thing that really sets me off and would drive me away in a heartbeat.

So, just finished installing Zorin on a brand new SSD, tinker with some settings, get firefox and my preferred add-ons, etc. Set the home page to the speeddial add-on. Restart firefox to check settings and everything is fine. Close firefox to tinker some more in general including - deciding to run the "software updater" and.... low and behold, the next time I start firefox the home page has changed to https://zorinos.com/start/

I shrug and change it back to what I want. Visit a few sites and close firefox. Open firefox again and guess what? Yeah, the home page is back to https://zorinos.com/start/ I have now tried every (simple) way I know to rid myself of the hijack and set the home page to what I want but it always reverts back.

Anyone having this problem? Is there something I am missing? If not and this is Zorin's thing - to hijack browser settings - yeah I won't be sticking with the distro for sure.

Thanks in advance for any help, thoughts and feedback.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36:30 pm

Change your Software Updater server setttings from your country's locale to 'Main Server'. ;) :D

sttiger

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:52:12 pm

2 things about Firefox i noticed. one, it will not play flash games. 2 i have to go to programs, search for firefox. click it, then launch it.. my g**. is this what i should expect from this OS? If i could come here now and then to work on it, going to my dual boot windows option, I would be more patient, but of course, THAT PAGE DOES NOT WORK EITHER. it has a timer and no matter what key or mouse button i hit, it just times out to this c***** non functions os.. since this is the OFFICIAL help page, and it does not work, I guess i cannot look up how to fix problem either.. i

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:47:23 pm

sttiger wrote:2 things about Firefox i noticed. one, it will not play flash games. 2 i have to go to programs, search for firefox. click it, then launch it.. my g**. is this what i should expect from this OS? If i could come here now and then to work on it, going to my dual boot windows option, I would be more patient, but of course, THAT PAGE DOES NOT WORK EITHER. it has a timer and no matter what key or mouse button i hit, it just times out to this c***** non functions os.. since this is the OFFICIAL help page, and it does not work, I guess i cannot look up how to fix problem either.. i

So what is your problem? Firefox is not the default browser, it is Chromium - you can add a shortcut to the desktop from within the menu, and/or you can add to favourites on the panel! :o

Finston Pickle

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:15:51 pm

Sttiger, to create either an icon for Firefox on the desktop or in favourites:

Click on the blue "Z".

Type Firefox in the searchbar which appears

Right click on the Firefox entry which appears

Take your pick icon on desktop, in favourites, or both - which is what I have done.

There is no need to go sifting through every type of app to find Firefox!

P.S. If Firefox ever plays up, I find clearing the Firefox cache using Ubuntu Cleaner or indeed restarting Firefox does the trick - it is really work in progress till it settles down - if all else fails use Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Vivaldi, Midori etc. they all have their plusses and minusses

Finston Pickle

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:21:15 pm

Firefox has still not settled fully with Zorin 12 ,as far as I can see.

One minute it is going like lightning - the next it can't find google's server!

Sometimes, a whole series of links from (say the daily mail online articles, or a chatroom), come up "server not found" - often after a lot of blinking dots on the tabs - whatever that means. On clicking "try again", the page comes up instantly, sometimes not.

Something is affecting its' consistency - I wonder what?

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:26:40 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Firefox has still not settled fully with Zorin 12 ,as far as I can see.

One minute it is going like lightning - the next it can't find google's server!

Sometimes, a whole series of links from (say the daily mail online articles, or a chatroom), come up "server not found" - often after a lot of blinking dots on the tabs - whatever that means. On clicking "try again", the page comes up instantly, sometimes not.

Something is affecting its' consistency - I wonder what?

Hi, I somehow think that is one for the mozilla forums rather than here. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:26:55 pm

Fair comment, Swarf - it was just an observation of the way it performs on Z12 for me - I still use it however.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08:59 pm

Hi Finston, since the last update I noticed it was becoming slow (Spectre mitigation slowing the processor down?). Tried Vivaldi which seemed a lot quicker and that too is now slowing down. Roll-on entropy! :lol:

Finston Pickle

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:28:40 pm

I work between Opera, Vivaldi, Chrome, Midori and Firefox, as the mood takes me - and used to think that Slimjet was great until I picked up a rerouting issue someow (that was goodbye to Slimjet and welcome to ClamTK to root out the little weevil, fortunately!!).

I still tend to go for Firefox first as I want it to succeed.

BTW Is entropy the end of the world when everything is more jumbled and warmer?

Finston Pickle

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:28:28 pm

I don't know if it was a Zorin 12 update or a Firefox update, but Firefox 59.0.2 is now working, for me, as well as it ever should have - and is worth using again as default browser.

Giowi

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:55:34 am

How can I install Adobe flash player on firefox?

zorinantwerp

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:54:43 pm

on top bar of mozilla firefox on the right side you can select

for new questions please start a new thread. tks

+++