This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ubuntu tweak

nom1974

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:42:39 pm

Hi all,

I've read somewhere on the internet that Zorin OS comes with Ubuntu Tweak? I might be mistaken about this so that is why i asked it here. I also found out that Ubuntu Tweak is no longer maintained? If i look here: https://github.com/tualatrix/ubuntu-tweak the latest release version is about 4 years ago.

Anyone here who can shine a light on this?
Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59:58 pm

Hi, no Zorin does not come with Ubuntu Tweak, but it SHOULD have come with Tweak Tool - install it from Software or from a Terminal (Menu | Utilities |Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

;) :D

[I am just getting to this in preparing the latest update/instalment to the unofficial manual - got all the screenshots, now I just need to pad out with words and update the link]

You can still install Ubuntu Tweak as I have done as I mainly use it for the Janitor (system cleanup) function. ;) :D and yes sadly it is now a 'dead' project.

Finston Pickle

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:21:34 pm

I find Ubuntu Cleaner useful for tidying up my Zorin 12 system - I used to use Ubuntu Tweak on my Zorin 9 machine.

I think I found Ubuntu Cleaner through synaptic package manager.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:05:45 pm

Just remember, it is always advisable to keep the last (previous) Kernel headers prior to an update - just in case things go awry. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:04:57 pm

I always keep the last kernel headers - twelve at the moment - as there seem to be three kernel groups used (and four types in each).

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:33:30 pm

There used to be only be 3 headers in each kernel from recollection. I think the latest addition is 'Complete Generic Linux kernel and headers' (linux-generic-hwe-16.04) [4.13.0.26.46]

Finston Pickle

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27:18 pm

I find, of the twelve header items left in Ubuntu Cleaner (I leave the latest version of each type):

4.4.0 - four types of -109

4.8.0 - four types of -58

4.10.0 - four types of - 42

I really don't understand why there are so many - there used to be eight in total when I first started using Ubuntu Cleaner.

P.S. no sign of 4.13.0 derivatives yet

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:47:51 am

Finston Pickle wrote:... P.S. no sign of 4.13.0 derivatives yet

Have you got your software updates coming from Main Server? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:23:00 pm

I get my updates announced by "Software Updater" - where it is pointed, I don't know (see below).

As I originally pointed "software and updates" to "Main Server", in line with your recommendation, Swarf - I thought "Software Updater" would use the same source.

I never selected "Sotware Updater" to be my primary update source - it just started announcing updates being available and I installed them (thinking it was somehow being initiated by "Zorin HQ").

I have just clicked on "Software Updater" > settings which, in fact, opened "Software and updates" - which IS pointed ot "Main Server", so I guess all is OK.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05:33 pm

Curious as I have the kernel number I posted previously.

zorinantwerp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44:47 am

my Zorin Ulitimate OS runs at 4.14.15
http://i64.tinypic.com/ixqrrr.jpg

+++

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:05:18 pm

I prefer to play safe - having bleeding edge software often leads to a visit to the Band Aid Box in the First Aid Cabinet! :lol:

zorinantwerp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:15:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I prefer to play safe - having bleeding edge software often leads to a visit to the Band Aid Box in the First Aid Cabinet! :lol:

well my band-aid solution calls Swarfendor437 :roll:

cheers

Finston Pickle

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22:00 pm

Any thoughts on how to get my kernels "up to speed" - I seem to be well out of it!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:05:37 pm

Hi Finston, zorinantwerp's your man for that. ;)

zorinantwerp

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35:58 pm

Hi Finston

newer is better ! I can only be positive - check for Ukuu Kernel Update

+++

Finston Pickle

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27:13 am

Hi Zorinantwerp.

I'm not sure that I will try it, but just to understand the process:

is "Ukuu Kernel Update" in synaptic package manager? if not where is it found?

I wonder - are some of the extra features that you seem to have due to your running later kernels?

It sounds a little risky - using kernels untested for compatibility with all the rest of Zorin 12.2 gubbins by the Zorin development team - I tend towards Swarf's view.

zorinantwerp

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:53:57 am

The program installs a new kernel in Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and other Ubuntu-based distributions, using the “mainline” kernels published by Canonical. Mainline kernels are provided by the Ubuntu Kernel Team but they’re intended for testing purposes only. For me they are reliable enough for everyday use. However you install them at your own risk.

perhaps the Wiki page gives you more info
Code:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

cheers

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:59:39 pm

That is why I always err on the side of caution. Zorin tests compatibility before allowing latest kernel releases. Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

zorinantwerp

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:45:53 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:That is why I always err on the side of caution. Zorin tests compatibility before allowing latest kernel releases. Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

Take a walk on the wild side with Zorin OS and enjoy the thrill :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:14:26 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:That is why I always err on the side of caution. Zorin tests compatibility before allowing latest kernel releases. Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

Take a walk on the wild side with Zorin OS and enjoy the thrill :mrgreen:

That's fine if it's a spare rig but because I am dependent on this one I will wait until I see the green man flashing! :mrgreen:

Finston Pickle

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:36:24 pm

Great! - after the last Software Updater update I now have four versions of each kernel of:

4.4.0-116

4.8.0-88

4.10.0-42
and
4.13.0-36

I wonder why I need so many - 16 in total?

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:10:50 pm

You don't need all those - You could actually just remove using synaptic, or Janitor in Ubuntu Tweak. I'm a bit cautious on selecting 'autoremove' as I have found in the past it is all too easy to delete essential packages for Zorin to boot again! :shock:

Finston Pickle

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:20:27 pm

Yes, I could remove any redundant kernels using Ubuntu Cleaner.

BUT...

How can I find out what Zorin 12.3 thinks it needs.

AND ANYWAY...

As, when using Zorin 12, there no longer seems to be the Disc Space issue that required the kernels to be tidied up in Zorin 9 (you could not install updates, if there was not enough room for the new kernels) - There is no need to tidy up, I guess.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:20:45 pm

The clue is in the numbers, the higher the number the more recent the kernel - you should only ever need to keep one previous kernel to the one in use. I had an issue with a notebook at work - didn't remember creating a '/boot' folder but got that chestnut you experienced about not enough room - just had to search for the solution which is:

https://www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/1974- ... n-on-linux

Finston Pickle

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:42:20 pm

That link came up a bit dickey - a bit like the dripping screen in "the matrix" - never seen that before.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29:19 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:That link came up a bit dickey - a bit like the dripping screen in "the matrix" - never seen that before.

Just visited the page again - looks fine to me. ;) :D