This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Do I need an antivirus?

wombat140

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:52:40 pm

Do I need an antivirus for Zorin, these days? And if so, what would you recommend? Bear in mind that it's an 8 year old laptop, so something that doesn't slow it down too much would be preferred. And something EASY, for a relative newbie.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10:17 pm

Hi, you don't need AV for GNU/Linux as such but to check any windows files you may have access to on the network or check attachments on emails from known senders or if you intend to use wine to run Windows apps. So if you need AV use Clam AV - I have given info about this in the unofficial Zorin Manual on how to do this. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36:06 am

(my experience) no firewall no anti virus since my decision to dump microsoft and - what a relief - having no concerns at all - I still feel walking like Alice in wonderland :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02:43 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:(my experience) no firwall no anti virus since my decision to dump microsoft and - what a relief - having no concerns at all - I still feel walking like Alice in wonderland :mrgreen:

Then it's time for a rethink friend:

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/n ... -rootkits/

which reminds me, you should install rkhunter. ;) :D

If you want to be really secure, disable Flash - it is the one weak link that affects all platforms - apart from Mac who prevent its usage some years ago.

zorinantwerp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:

tks for the advice
got version 1.4.2 installed - as result (almost) a virgin. I settle for a false positive
1 warning on /usr/bin/lwp-request
next action is FAQ of RKhunter

+++

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:16:15 pm

rkhunter I believe that it looks at a base line, sees that the files have changed (due to an update) and thinks it may be a risk so you may well get some spurious stuff but worth keeping up-to-date - afraid it is more terminal commands to get used to but your acknowledgement of looking at FAQ is quite logical. Chroootkit from what I have read elsewhere in the past is not advisable to have on Ubuntu based systems/forks. ;) :D

Interesting article here:

https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... s-rkhunter

zabadabadoo

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54:32 am

zorinantwerp wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

tks for the advice
got version 1.4.2 installed - as result (almost) a virgin. I settle for a false positive
1 warning on /usr/bin/lwp-request
next action is FAQ of RKhunter

+++

I have been looking at rkhunter. Synaptic Package Manager only lists rkhunter 1.4.2 as mentioned above, but that version is 2014 vintage. Latest version is 1.4.6.
Any idea why only 1.4.2 is offered?
No way to update to 1.4.6?

zorinantwerp

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:55:53 pm

Hi
from my mailbox - rkhunter requires knowledge of linux - first time users will meet hardship

[Rkhunter-users] unable to update to new version
bobby architectofthefuture@gmail.com via lists.sourceforge.net
1 jan. 2019 17:40
to rkhunter-users
I am trying to update from 1.4.2 to 1.4.6. When I run the update command, it tells me there are no updates available. Yet when I run the versioncheck command, it tells me 1.4.6 is available.
wednesday 2 jan. 01:11
to rkhunter-users
The update command only updates the databases, not the binary. You have to download, configure, compile and install the new version.

Sent from my iPad
----------unquote

cheers

zabadabadoo

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:51:25 pm

@zorinantwerp,
Did you stay with 1.4.2 then?

zorinantwerp

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:50:33 pm

Hi
indeed but I would advise to have a look at Lynis, Lynis is a host-based, open-source security auditing application that can evaluate the security profile and posture of Linux and other UNIX-like operating systems.
Code:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-perform-security-audits-with-lynis-on-ubuntu-16-04

to start install via Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t)
next commands see the link above
start report only
end report

get started with Lynis, the official documentation.
Code:
https://cisofy.com/documentation/lynis/get-started/

Happy reading :)

pcfan5

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
If you want to be really secure, disable Flash - it is the one weak link that affects all platforms - apart from Mac who prevent its usage some years ago.

Hi swarf. I am used to watch a lot of tv programs and movies on line. they are store in hosts and they need flash to watch them.
Waht can I do ? If I don't have flash install I won't be able to play the tv shows.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:36:21 pm

Good Point - lobby the TV stations to stream in HTML5! :lol:

On a practical note, just ensure that you regularly update to latest version which should be taken care of through security updates etc. ;) :D

pcfan5

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22:50 pm

Just a thought, what should I use to check windows virus in linux? don't lough please...but this is needed , sometimes when you go with a usbthumb to a computer under windows, and return home ;)

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:46:40 pm

Windows viruses cannot attack GNU/Linux. Clam AV can check your drive for viruses in the same way you could run clam av in GNU/Linux on a dual-boot system but some Windows system files might get thrown up as false positives. Just check your thumb drive with clam av. ;) :D

pcfan5

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57:17 pm

:mrgreen: thank you!