This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

booting up

nuacht

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34:58 pm

hello my system wont boot up i am using lenovo 110s
when i try to boot it says usb 1-2 device descriptor read/64 error110- and then after a few minutes it changes to a blue z logo with a black background ?
what should i do ?

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30:59 pm

"USB error -110 means power exceeded, the host could not provide enough electric power for the pendrive to operate. Because it has not enough power also the USB stick cannot provide the device descriptor to the host, as a result it cannot be identified and so on. Maybe your motherboard it's overloaded with devices that consume all the available pwoer."

from: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/136 ... -error-110

nuacht

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15:12 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:"USB error -110 means power exceeded, the host could not provide enough electric power for the pendrive to operate. Because it has not enough power also the USB stick cannot provide the device descriptor to the host, as a result it cannot be identified and so on. Maybe your motherboard it's overloaded with devices that consume all the available pwoer."

from: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/136 ... -error-110

this is the only usb device that i am using ? should i leave my lenovo charging for a few hours until it has been on full battery for a good while before trying it ?

zorinantwerp

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45:15 pm

I would try following:
do not power down but take out your battery to shock the motherboard
leave the laptop alone for 10 minutes
use your power cord
disconnect all external devices
you have usb 2.0 and 3.0 on yr machine. try both

+++

nuacht

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50:07 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:I would try following:
do not power down but take out your battery to shock the motherboard
leave the laptop alone for 10 minutes
use your power cord
disconnect all external devices
you have usb 2.0 and 3.0 on yr machine. try both

+++

i only have one usb i am not sure but i think it is 3.0 ? could i use an sd card ?
i will try unpluging now and get back to you

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:32:02 pm

I don't know the state of your battery, but even so, just like an update, you should have your notebook powered on during install as power failure could bork the installation. If you have USB 3.0 the 'tab/spade' in the machine will be coloured blue. Having looked at the potential specs of your ideapad does it have an SSD or an inferior 32 Gb eMMC storage?

nuacht

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55:47 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I don't know the state of your battery, but even so, just like an update, you should have your notebook powered on during install as power failure could bork the installation. If you have USB 3.0 the 'tab/spade' in the machine will be coloured blue. Having looked at the potential specs of your ideapad does it have an SSD or an inferior 32 Gb eMMC storage?

updatei borrowed a freinds usb it worked i was able to use the os to which i then tried to install after, it removed the previous system it said it needed to restart , when i did this it said this
error: no such device
entering rescue mode
grub rescue> _

did i mess up somewhere ?

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24:52 pm

Hi, Just be advised that if you replaced Windows with a failed install you may not get it back - I was hoping for a reply to my last posting before you went ahead. Such devices are apparently WIMboot devices - if you removed the hidden partition at the start of the drive there will be no way of getting Winidows back. Can you get Zorin to boot in live mode? If you can, I would like you to start GParted to post a picture of your partitions.

nuacht

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47:44 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Just be advised that if you replaced Windows with a failed install you may not get it back - I was hoping for a reply to my last posting before you went ahead. Such devices are apparently WIMboot devices - if you removed the hidden partition at the start of the drive there will be no way of getting Winidows back. Can you get Zorin to boot in live mode? If you can, I would like you to start GParted to post a picture of your partitions.

hello first of all my apologies i am not computer experienced . at the moment when i put my usb into my device it shows a menu for
try zorin without installing
install zorin
and a buch of other options but when i go to install zorin it works fine until it asks to restart and when i do it resets everything and never actually installs ? i am typing this from livesession at the moment. thanks for all of your help so far

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05:40 pm

OK if you are in live mode:

1. in the search bar of the menu, enter 'GParted' - it should show up almost instantly. - Launch it.
2. Go to Menu | Accessories | Screenshot and take a picture of the GParted window, save it as a .jpg and post it here - to do that see my tutorial video here (which needs updating I know):

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

nuacht

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48:38 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK if you are in live mode:

1. in the search bar of the menu, enter 'GParted' - it should show up almost instantly. - Launch it.
2. Go to Menu | Accessories | Screenshot and take a picture of the GParted window, save it as a .jpg and post it here - to do that see my tutorial video here (which needs updating I know):

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

ok here is screenshot i think i did it right

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17:02 pm

OK, I see you have emmc notebook - please be aware that these machines can have an extremely short lifespan (have just read where one person's died after only 9 months!). The best solution I can offer you is this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/747969/ ... -300-11iby

When you have saved up some money, get a notebook with a hard drive, even a decent second hand one. ;) :D

nuacht

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28:22 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, I see you have emmc notebook - please be aware that these machines can have an extremely short lifespan (have just read where one person's died after only 9 months!). The best solution I can offer you is this:

When you have saved up some money, get a notebook with a hard drive, even a decent second hand one. ;) :D

thanks for the help your a sound guy i will try this

nuacht

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46:27 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, I see you have emmc notebook - please be aware that these machines can have an extremely short lifespan (have just read where one person's died after only 9 months!). The best solution I can offer you is this:

i disabled secure boot and tried but it does not boot it just stays in a page for windows 10 which was removed already

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50:27 pm

Hi, I am now getting stuck as I don't know much about emmc but from the City Forum where I live, someone bought one in error and did not know why they could not install a game for their child. They are extremely limited kit and all I can think of is that the BIOS or the emmc chip is harwired to only accept Windows 10. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else apart from a different post which said something about disabling CSM in the BIOS and turning off UEFI? :(

nuacht

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54:06 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I am now getting stuck as I don't know much about emmc but from the City Forum where I live, someone bought one in error and did not know why they could not install a game for their child. They are extremely limited kit and all I can think of is that the BIOS or the emmc chip is harwired to only accept Windows 10. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else apart from a different post which said something about disabling CSM in the BIOS and turning off UEFI? :(

jesus how would you disable that ?

nuacht

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:05:39 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I am now getting stuck as I don't know much about emmc but from the City Forum where I live, someone bought one in error and did not know why they could not install a game for their child. They are extremely limited kit and all I can think of is that the BIOS or the emmc chip is harwired to only accept Windows 10. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else apart from a different post which said something about disabling CSM in the BIOS and turning off UEFI? :(

also when i test memory it says install/mt86plus:file not found
does that mean anything ?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02:26 pm

nuacht wrote:

also when i test memory it says install/mt86plus:file not found
does that mean anything ?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i ... x-usb.html

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03:30 pm

nuacht wrote:

If you can boot to BIOS there should be either EFI or Legacy boot mode available, but I suspect because it is emmc motherboard it will be locked - I could be wrong - also check to see if there is mixed mode (Efi/Legacy)

nuacht

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:39:26 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
nuacht wrote:

If you can boot to BIOS there should be either EFI or Legacy boot mode available, but I suspect because it is emmc motherboard it will be locked - I could be wrong - also check to see if there is mixed mode (Efi/Legacy)

is their a way to unlock

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42:30 am

You are going to struggle it would appear:

"rbanffy on Mar 8, 2015 [-]
After fighting an eMMC-based "Windows Chromebook" for the last couple weeks, I think I can answer how its specific implementation of UEFI works with one word: "poorly".

arthurfm on Mar 8, 2015 [-]
What were you trying to do with it?

rbanffy on Mar 9, 2015 [-]
I was trying to install Ubuntu so that it boots off the eMMC. No luck there, but Fedora can boot from a tiny USB stick that barely protrudes from the chassis."

[extracted from: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9163657]

nuacht

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:39:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You are going to struggle it would appear:

"rbanffy on Mar 8, 2015 [-]
After fighting an eMMC-based "Windows Chromebook" for the last couple weeks, I think I can answer how its specific implementation of UEFI works with one word: "poorly".

arthurfm on Mar 8, 2015 [-]
What were you trying to do with it?

rbanffy on Mar 9, 2015 [-]
I was trying to install Ubuntu so that it boots off the eMMC. No luck there, but Fedora can boot from a tiny USB stick that barely protrudes from the chassis."

[extracted from: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9163657]

there wouldnt be any how to guide for this job i am not sure i am confident doing it myself

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28:13 pm

Hi nuacht,

Sorry if I have not been as blunt as I should be - basically, emmc sucks big time and because everything is 'hardwired' into the motherboard I cannot see you progressing further. What the poster was stating about the Fedora on USB would be to create a bootable Zorin USB and boot your Chromebook off of that. I don't know enough about persistence (where you can store data permanently on your USB thumb drive), only live boot - but then you could use a second thumb drive to store/save data. Check out Rufus:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pr ... st-any-os/

nuacht

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi nuacht,

Sorry if I have not been as blunt as I should be - basically, emmc sucks big time and because everything is 'hardwired' into the motherboard I cannot see you progressing further. What the poster was stating about the Fedora on USB would be to create a bootable Zorin USB and boot your Chromebook off of that. I don't know enough about persistence (where you can store data permanently on your USB thumb drive), only live boot - but then you could use a second thumb drive to store/save data. Check out Rufus:

thanks for the assistance

nuacht

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:00:25 am

do all modern computers use this sucky emmc

nuacht

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54:55 pm

another update i have somehow installed it to my lenovo but when i turn it on the mouse doesnt work and some of the buttons on the keyboard work i guess i am slowly making progress what now ?

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37:42 pm

nuacht wrote:

do all modern computers use this sucky emmc

Basically cheap Chrome Books - any notebook/ebook that only has 32 Gb storage is likely to be an indicator that is a cheap and tacky emmc (Sorry to be rude about kit that you own, but they should never have been thought up in the first place (just like Celeron and Sempron processors). All they are really designed for is to browse and social media, and email and that's "as good as it gets". :(

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:38:19 pm

nuacht wrote:

another update i have somehow installed it to my lenovo but when i turn it on the mouse doesnt work and some of the buttons on the keyboard work i guess i am slowly making progress what now ?

Hi could you please start a new thread in respect of your lenovo notebook and provide Model number and spec. Thanks. ;)