This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] startup sound

@c%pv?$(+m/^4#&h

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22:37 pm

Hi Everyone, I have just purchased Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate and installed it on an Acer XC-230, AMD E1-7010 dual core processor, Realtek HD Audio.

The audio is running fine in games and on youtube. The only thing missing is the startup sound.

I have found 2 files under the file system and they will both play the sound in the terminal typing paplay before them

/usr/share/sounds/login.wav
/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/service-login.oga

I have tried several different ways of adding either of these commands to the startup applications, but I obviously have the wrong description or something.
I have tried GNOME Login Sound then the command then Play a sound whenever you login. Tried Zorin login.wav, play login sound. I cannot really remember now how many different ways
I have tried this.

Apart from that the system is running really well, and is stable. The pc came with Windows 10 preinstalled but did not run it well at all. Hope someone can help. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45:29 pm

This article should help - now I will try the sound that came with OzDiamond B-II!

https://vimeo.com/126311678

:D :D :D

@c%pv?$(+m/^4#&h

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:48:33 am

Hi Swarfendor437, Thank you for replying, I have watched your videos, and they are good, but I still cannot get a startup sound. I know it is only a minor thing, but how do I type it correctly
under the startup applications, to try once more to get it working. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52:49 pm

:oops: Forgot to copy the guide I found!

This is not the article I found last night - will post later when home:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-16-04/

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39:59 pm

@c%pv?$(+m/^4#&h

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45:39 pm

Hi Swarfendor437, I have success. Thank you for the link as it pointed me in the right direction. I was used to using Linux Mint Cinnamon and Mate and the way to add the sound to the
start up applications was a bit different. This is how I typed it in and it now works.
Name desktop-login
Description GNOME Login
Command paplay /usr/share/sounds/login.wav :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58:54 pm

Yay! :D

Will mark as [SOLVED]!