This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install Nvidia drives from the dot run file

Mintmag

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:32:47 pm

Hi there can someone please tell me how to install the Nvidia drivers on Zorin using the dot run files from the website?

I'm not a fan of using repositories to install software so I avoid it whenever possible.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:26:36 pm

Mintmag

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:57:33 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, this should help:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/18747/h ... -run-files

Thanks, I know how to run a .run file but it's taking out the old drivers that's annoying.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01:04 pm

OK, go to Additional drivers and select 'Nouveau' which are the GNU/Linux drivers, then install the new ones and hopefully they should get listed in the Additional Drivers. From personal experience and preference I prefer NOT to use proprietary drivers as it causes issues with Firefox for me. Been more than happy with the Open Source Drivers. ;) :D

Mintmag

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:19:31 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, go to Additional drivers and select 'Nouveau' which are the GNU/Linux drivers, then install the new ones and hopefully they should get listed in the Additional Drivers. From personal experience and preference I prefer NOT to use proprietary drivers as it causes issues with Firefox for me. Been more than happy with the Open Source Drivers. ;) :D

Additional Drivers, uses the repository to install drivers which I don't like. Like I first posted I would like to use the drivers from the .run file from Nvidia's website. You prefer Nouveau which is fine but I don't. I prefer proprietary, and I prefer local methods of software distribution. So I wish to install from .run

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51:41 pm

Well guess you will just have to wait for someone else to assist I'm afraid. I've had no issues provided you are pointing to 'Main Server' in Software Updater Sources. ;)

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:56:38 pm

Did some more delving. The answer is here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/149206/ ... es#tab-top

[duckduckgo to the rescue once more!]
duckduckgo.jpg
duckduckgo.jpg (21.85 KiB)