This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Update Zorin Lite off line?

pcfan5

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51:38 pm

Hello , I have just installed zorinos lite , but I don't have wi fi conexion yet, I know this is a common thing to happend and that it will be fixed after I update Zorin, however I am far away from my modem to set RJ 14 cable to get internet conected. Is it possible to dowload the update in another computer with intenet conextion ?

I just need the driver for my usb wi fi adaptor device, which doesn't have private drivers, it only works with the kernel 4.10 , 4.13 but now , and after some expierence I know I will need the zorin update, I don't know which is the specific file that makes my device work. I am not advanced usser.

An I wish to avoid moving my Desktop PC to the place where the modem is.

My device is TP-LINK TL-WN722N V.3 (only V.2 has linux drivers) but I don't get installing it, I know , Iknow... it's a different model, but I wanted to give it a try from " Net Drivers mannager", and it keeps asking me for an *.inf file which is not included in the driver I have dowload in zip formate and extracted.

Thanks in advanced

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46:55 pm

I hate to advise that TP-Link is NOT GNU/Linux friendly. I spotted one of these (https://www.tesco.com/direct/tp-link-ar ... rce=others) in local supermarket as member of family had frequent connection issues with Netgear WG111v3 in Windows. I noticed that it said it would work with Linux too so I thought I would get one for the Zorin Box too - waste of time - what it does not tell you on the outside of the box is that it only works with Kernel module 3.10 - that is like selling a piece of hardware that will only run on Windows XP. If you want to make sure that you have got hardware that is going to work:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/

pcfan5

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02:29 pm

Hi there thank you! you are so right. However I would like to tell you that it works fine under linux mint , kernel 4.10 and 4.13. So I was wondering what is the archive/drive or "thing" that makes it work. So I can keep it save (back up) for some other time I need to reinstal. Anyway regarding this post, I was looking into "apt-offline", but it is too complicated for me.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24:34 pm

pcfan5 wrote:Hi there thank you! you are so right. However I would like to tell you that it works fine under linux mint , kernel 4.10 and 4.13. So I was wondering what is the archive/drive or "thing" that makes it work. So I can keep it save (back up) for some other time I need to reinstal. Anyway regarding this post, I was looking into "apt-offline", but it is too complicated for me.

Best avoided, when I started my pathway on GNU/Linux I started with Mandrake, downloaded updates from a different connection and destroyed the installation! :oops:

pcfan5

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02:34 am

Oh I see.
It turned out that kernel 4.13 is the one that makes my device to work. I wonder if there is a way to save that "package" for some other time...I know this could be a question for another topic.

Linx

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01:08 pm

pcfan5 wrote:It turned out that kernel 4.13 is the one that makes my device to work.

This is default for Zorin Core 12.3!

Also the Kernel itself doesn't normally have many deps, so it might not be difficult to upgrade just that. However EVERYTHING depends on the kernel, so you might have stuff break, but if the wifi does work, other upgrades would fix that up in a heartbeat.

My opinion: Format and clean install 12.3 Core.

zorinantwerp

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20:14 pm

for your interest, have a look at the kernel versions available - stay away from the Release Candidates.
always make a backup .
Code:
https://www.kernel.org/

+++

pcfan5

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:52:31 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:for your interest, have a look at the kernel versions available - stay away from the Release Candidates.
always make a backup .
Code:
https://www.kernel.org/

+++

Thank you very much!!!

I would like to add I made this post when I was under Zorin 12.2 but 12.3 comes with the kernel I needed. Anyway I Will keep these suggestions in mind for my other linux distro. ;)