This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

nr of desktops (Live 5.2 X64 Core)

wiko

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:30:45 am

Merry X-mas everybody!!

I'm trying Zorin and like it sofar!

but I can't increase the nr. of desktops (1): the hor. and vert. virtual sizes CAN be changed, but I don't see any difference on my screen.

is there anything I can do??

thx in advance

Wolfman

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:03:47 pm

hi wiko,

did you install the additional hardware drivers for your graphics card??. (Nvidia and ATI only) Use the Control Center to do this!!.

You should be able to change the setting for the number of desktops via the config editor:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GConfEditor

Regards Wolfman :D

wiko

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:12:58 pm

Wolfman wrote:1. did you install the additional hardware drivers for your graphics card??

2. You should be able to change the setting for the number of desktops via the config editor:

hi wolfman,
[thx for the quick reply!]

1. my Geforce5600 is old, so should I install anything?
(btw: when I start USC the window stays gray, so that doesn't work either)

2. via gconf I changed the number to 3 in apps/general/config/screen0/options
this change is persistent , but the compizconfig is unchanged.

changing the number in desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager to 3 as well didn't help either.

any ideas?
thx,
wiko

Wolfman

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34:05 pm

HI wiko,

yes!; you should install the drivers for your Geforce card!!.

Get back to us if you still have problems with Compiz after!!.

wiko

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:53:57 pm

Wolfman wrote:HI wiko,

yes!; you should install the drivers for your Geforce card!!.

hi wolfman,

sorry, back already:

but as I said before:
when I start USC the window stays gray
(I have used it to install firefox, so it worked before)

did I mess up anything?

thx, wiko

wiko

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:29:12 pm

swarfendor437 wrote: go for nouveau (experimental drivers))

hi,

X.Org X server -- Nouveau displaydriver (experimental) is already installed.

if I want to install anything from nvidia I have to reboot, which, with a Live-session, means that all changes are lost too!
catch22??

thx, wiko

Wolfman

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:12:17 pm

Hi wiko,

start your PC in recovery mode and select "dpkg" from the list, let it run and say "y" when asked (if). I cannot say this will cure your problem but it may!.

wiko

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:18:22 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi wiko,

start your PC in recovery mode and select "dpkg" from the list, let it run and say "y" when asked (if). I cannot say this will cure your problem but it may!.

hi wolfman,

for the time being I'll stick to 1 workspace for all my windows etc.
on monday I'm going to prepare a hd for install via an USB-adapter (should I preformat it, what system[ntfs or ext3]??) , build it in the PC and see if it gets better when a reboot is less destructive.

thx sofar,
wiko

Wolfman

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:59:27 pm

Hi,

if you are going to re-install then you can pre-format if you wish, at the point of the install when asked where you want to install, select "something else" and point it to your pre-formatted partitions!!. You should use "ext4".

Immediately after the install; run "dpkg" in recovery mode. Don't boot first after the fresh install.

VanR

Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:52:58 am

If you are running a Live CD one desktop is probably all you are gonna get. Once you install Zorin then you can use "Additional Drivers" System>Administration>Additional Drivers to install the proper Nvidia drivers for your graphics card if one is available.

wiko

Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:06:42 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

if you are going to re-install then you can pre-format if you wish, at the point of the install when asked where you want to install, select "something else" and point it to your pre-formatted partitions!!. You should use "ext4".

Immediately after the install; run "dpkg" in recovery mode. Don't boot first after the fresh install.

thx sofar!

furthermore (hope I'm not to big of a bother :oops: ):

can I install (my first Tux :?: ) in my current Live-session, after I've ext4-ed the disk (80GB IDE)?
will the USB-adapter be 'transparent" for the install?
(and will all personalized settings from this session keep?)
how many partitions and what sizes do you advise (I can think of /, /home/, /usr, /var, /boot, /swap)? or does the installer take care of this for me?

will it boot when assembled in the case?

I also have an ATI Club Radeon 9200SE which should work on the mobo too. will this card give less problems than the nVidia Geforce FX5600 (which probably is a little bit faster) concerning the nr. of desktops?
when installing the hd, with Zorin installed, I could swap the card (or is the configuration part of the install of Zorin, in which case I could run into problems when I boot from the hd).

thx in advance,
wiko

VanR

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:55:14 pm

I would try to stick with Nvidia as the ATI drivers are not as good from what I understand.

You can install from the Live session, but no you're settings in the live-session will not be saved. You will have to configure it all over again.