This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Printer Icon Lost

pcfan5

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:16:07 pm

Hello, I lost my panel printer icon, while trying to arrange things, I don't know how to add it since it is not an option in panel - add. I am under Zorin Lite 12.3 and it is really important for me to have it back.

Angelo

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:28:58 pm

If you have Gnome tweak tool (Gnome Shell Extensions) you can rescue the right bottom printer's icon follow
extensions => printers => click the gear on the right and choice "show icon : ever" in the top menu
Also I needed to do the same 'cause Ive lost the icon :)

Angelo

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:03:41 pm

Angelo wrote:If you have Gnome tweak tool (Gnome Shell Extensions) you can rescue the right bottom printer's icon follow
extensions => printers => click the gear on the right and choice "show icon : ever" in the top menu

Angelo

Hi Angelo, that is fine for Core/Ultimate - xfce does not use the Gnome Shell. ;) :D

@pcfan5 - see if running any of the commands in the answer provided here helps via the terminal as 'system-config-printer' should already work and see if that brings it back and see if you can right-click and pin?

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=10119

Angelo

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40:57 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Angelo, that is fine for Core/Ultimate - xfce does not use the Gnome Shell. ;) :D

Hi Swarfendor437,
sorry I don't knew that Zorin Light come with Xfce, never seen that release version. Next time I'll make more attention when I write (I'm almost noob with the Linux universe) :)
THX for your edit, you're ever welcome!

Angelo

pcfan5

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:34:58 pm

Hi guys ! thank you Both for your replies!!
I checked the link given but "system-config-printer" and "pygobject2" didn't work for me.

"system-config-printer" is already install.
"pygobject2" doesn't even appear in synaptics.

What do you say about this?:
xfce4-settings-editor
xfprint

I have some options in xfprint they are in spanish
Here is the translation "cadena" = chain ; "vacio" = empty

There is also an option in xfced4-panel to reset it I have seen all this here: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/refresh-l ... rebooting/
but I will wait for your replies.

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40:28 am

Just had another look at that link I posted for you - have you done a web search for "xfce panel plugins"? ;) :D

pcfan5

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37:44 pm

Hi again, thank you , that was the only thing I didn't do . (because my printer i salready shown in cups) I got this : http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/start
however there isn't a plugin for printer, which one should I install?

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37:03 pm

pcfan5

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:20:22 am

Angelo wrote:If you have Gnome tweak tool (Gnome Shell Extensions) you can rescue the right bottom printer's icon follow

Angelo

Hi Angelo I installed the Gnome Tweak Took but don't see the "extensions" tab anywhere ... :roll:

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:56:28 am

pcfan5 wrote:

Angelo

Hi Angelo I installed the Gnome Tweak Took but don't see the "extensions" tab anywhere ... :roll:

When you open 'gnome-tweak-tool' 'Extensions' should be an item in the left pane which you have to left-click - but it could also because you are running xfce and not Gnome Shell! ;)

pcfan5

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:33:37 pm

Now I get it better thanks Swarf... Regarding your suggestion (before this post) I will keep it in mind, I am thinking about it is simpler than all we have been speaking here, since I used to have it (the icon I mean).

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54:13 pm

Well I haven't installed the new printer yet (sadly, the lovely Pixma MG-7750 has gone to the Printer Graveyard following a '1403' error - inkjet overheating! It was a white version of this:

https://youtu.be/GhtrW6TKj-c?t=235

And now I have this to share with the household:

https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/pixma-ts8150-series/

Scroll down to the one in front of a sofa and select 'Watch Video'. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41:07 pm

OK, to get your 'printer/s' icon on the panel (this is on 12.3 Lite I must add):

Printers add to panel.jpg

pcfan5

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30:11 pm

I wasn't able to fix the problem,with neither both options, should I try the dconf?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:33:47 pm

Try adding the application launcher, add quick launcher to the panel then add printers launcher?

Printers.jpg

Finston Pickle

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:53:04 pm

I just came across this thread and I had not come across these screens before.

For my information - what is the panel you are both referring to?

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:09:17 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:I just came across this thread and I had not come across these screens before.

For my information - what is the panel you are both referring to?

the xfce one in Zorin Lite - NOT Core/Ultimate. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:58:22 pm

Thanks - older and wiser.

pcfan5

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:59:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Try adding the application launcher, add quick launcher to the panel then add printers launcher?

The attachment Printers.jpg is no longer available

That is a good idea!!! thank you so much for taking the time to do this screen capture. I haven't seen this before and I got to get the panel icon last night before seen this post...

I did it through Session and Start (hope it is translated like this since my system is in spanish) then Startup Apps .

Swarfendor437

Tue May 01, 2018 12:04:53 pm

Hey, Glad you got it sorted! ;) :D