This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

rar Archives, error

pcfan5

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:17:53 pm

"rar encritpion support unavailable" is one of the error I 've got after trying to open a rar file.

another error , with another rar file is that the file is empty.

by the way if i don't do "gksudo Thunar &" I am not able select "extract here" with left click.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29:34 pm

pcfan5

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52:01 pm

thank you ! i have install it by deb file from the link you provided, however "error while loading shared libraries: libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" , when I tried it from console, since it doesn't work from GUI

UPDATE: Could make "peazip" work, tried with "Ark" it said it wasn't a compatible file (or something like that), even with "Xarchiever", but "B1 Free Archiver" did the trick. :mrgreen:

*I the programs mentioned before with 3 different rar files. With the default file archiver manager that comes with Zorin , when the rar is opened it is shown empy. With the others mentioned.

Could this issue be due to the rar files may have been created under Windows (I supposs).

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:41:25 am

WinRAR is proprietary and usually needs the purchased software to access, so yes that could have been the issue (WinRAR).

You could also try 7-Zip - in GNU/Linux it uses command line - I have installed the windows version in Wine and it has worked without any issue for me but I must advise that I have not used any archiver to access .rar files. ;) :D

pcfan5

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09:52 am

Thanks for your advise, so far B1 Free Archiver was good for me regarding rar files
I am wondering about this, (off topic but related) what about instaling "engrampa", this is the app I have in Mate ( but in another distro Linux Mint) I don't have issues with this app there, but don't know if it would work ok with Zorin since it is for Mate desktop as I said. One good thing about it , is that is has extensions for "Caja" so that I can add the opctions "extract here" in the "right click menu" . "file-roller" the app than comes with Zorin Lite doesn't have those options neiter extensions for Caja. If I do install "engrampa" would I broke my sistem if I uninstall "file - roller"?

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35:53 am

Basically I don't know. Off to work now - will PM Team Zorin later and ask.

pcfan5

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:09:37 pm

thank you very much

AZorin

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30:30 pm

Hello,
Because the RAR file format is proprietary, we can't distribute all of the underlying software to fully support .RAR files inside the Zorin OS .iso.

You can, however, install support for RAR archives by entering this command into the Terminal (which you can open by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T):
Code:
sudo apt install rar unrar

Afterwards, you will be able to use RAR archives with File Roller. I have just tested creating and extracting encrypted .RAR archives and it worked with no problem.

If you wish, you can install engrampa and remove File Roller without any issues in Zorin OS Lite.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26:21 pm

Many thanks for coming to the rescue! ;) :D

pcfan5

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:21:14 am

Thank you so very much @AZorin And thank you @Swarfendor437 for calling him :idea: