This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Dell Vostro 15 3568 Graphics issue

FlyingSquirrelZA

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33:03 am

Good day,

I really hope someone on here can assist me. I have purchased the Zorin OS12.3 Ultimate edition. However from the moment I tried installing it, I have experienced issues with my Laptops built in display. I use an external Dell 24" monitor at work and a 28" Dell monitor at home. When trying it install Zorin, I initially tried installing it as the main OS ( I was planning on running Windows 10 Pro in a virtual box ). However as soon as I booted into the install media, my Laptop display turned off. I plugged my external monitor in and that works, however there is alot of screen tearing and glitching whem moving a open window around on the screen. I then tried reinstalling the OS multiple times with different formats , Legacy and UEFI, but still no luck. I go to the display tab and it shows that my Primary monitor is off, I try turn it on my selecting the duplicate screen option, however the monitor stays off. I have tried Fn + F8 on my laptop and that doesnt work either. I have had to uninstall Zorin and I am currently using DeepIn. If anyone has any ideas please let me know and I will immediately uninstall my duelboot Win 10 Pro and Deepin to test your suggestions.

So info time:

Laptop: Dell Vostro 15 3568
Integrated Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
Max supported Native Resolution: 1366x768
Memory Installed: 8Gigs
Processor: i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00:11 pm

Hi, see if you get any further by following decalman's Text method of installing Zorin:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38771#p38771

If not then raise a ticket on the main Zorin site quoting your unique reference number when you purchased Ultimate. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:21:24 pm

hi

I'm using myself the Ultimate v.12.3 premium version. great stuff
you have issues on your Intel drivers It looks
download from
Code:
https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/16.10/main/pool/main/i/intel-graphics-update-tool/intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.3_amd64.deb

Once it has finished downloading, double-click on the installer and click on begin
Click on install
The installer will download and install the drivers for you. It will also add the Intel repository in /etc/apt/ for future updates
You will need to launch the additional drivers’ app and install the Intel firmware
Restart your computer

Reasing a ticket directly with Zorin developers will surely help you. just shake these guys :)

Good luck

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:31:15 am

Hi zorinantwerp, many thanks for your assistance once more. ;) :D

FlyingSquirrelZA

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:03:31 am

Thank you everyone, I will reinstall Zorin tonight and give you my feedback thereafter. I will upload a proper screenshot of my Zorin config at the same time if I do not come right.

FlyingSquirrelZA

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:05:09 pm

Ok quick update, I have formatted my machine, reinstalled Windows 10, reinstalled Zorin along side Windows 10.

1: Opened my emails and found this thread again,
2: copied https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/16.1 ... _amd64.deb into my browser
3: Downloaded the Intel Graphics Driver update tool
4: Stuck. I click on install and it shows the install progress bar and then...nothing. It just bounces back to the install icon. I can click the install button a million times and it initiates the install and then cancels it.

I will download all the updates for Zorin, restart my machine, update the repositories, update again and then test the install again. Stay tuned for updates :D

FlyingSquirrelZA

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:09:09 pm

Oh Gods of Linux old, I come before thee today to ask if there is a way to install the Graphics-Update-tool from the terminal by navigating to my download folder and using the sudo su command? I am a Windows User of old and have decided to Dabble in the glory of Linux. However I do not know how to read the scrolls of knowledge in order to successfully navigate my way through the Void Terminal. I have sent countless commands, but none have returned to me successfully.

I have downloaded intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.4_i386.deb as well as intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.3_i386.deb however it does not install. It initiates the install and says "Installing" with a progress bar at the bottom of the "installing" button then just bounces back to "Install" . Im assuming this is due to the package being an unknown source?

FlyingSquirrelZA

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:10:22 pm

So I managed to figure out the command to install from Terminal, however even this did not work. Any ideas guys ? :( Im starting to loose hope.

Here is the error I got:

root:/home/squirrel/Downloads# sudo dpkg -i intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.3_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 395367 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.3_i386.deb ...
Unpacking intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 (2.0.3) over (2.0.3) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-graphics-update-tool:i386:
intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 depends on libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.16.2).
intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 depends on libpackagekit-glib2-18 (>= 0.9.4).
intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 depends on libpolkit-gobject-1-0 (>= 0.99).
intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 depends on libsoup2.4-1 (>= 2.41.90).
intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 depends on fonts-ancient-scripts.
intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 depends on aptdaemon.

dpkg: error processing package intel-graphics-update-tool:i386 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3.1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5.1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
intel-graphics-update-tool:i386
root:/home/squirrel/Downloads#

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:00:22 pm

Just for clarification, are you running 64-bit Zorin or 32-bit? If 64-bit there is another package you will need, the ia-32libs or something:

https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en- ... nux-system

FlyingSquirrelZA

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49:20 pm

Good evening, I am running the 64 bit version, thank you. I will try that quickly.

EDIT: That did not work. External monitor still the only thing working.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28:07 pm

Hi, I know it is not GNU/Linux but this thread proved an interesting read:

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops- ... -p/5164347

My only other thought is a defective inverter?

FlyingSquirrelZA

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:44:47 am

Thank you for that post. It did make for an interesting read, however sadly this is not my issue. My laptop monitor works perfectly when I run windows 10 or Deepin Linux, it just seems to be Zorin that refuses to let me use my laptop monitor. I have logged a ticket two weeks ago with the Zorin team and used my purchase I.D . Still no word from them though. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03:19 pm

FlyingSquirrelZA wrote:Thank you for that post. It did make for an interesting read, however sadly this is not my issue. My laptop monitor works perfectly when I run windows 10 or Deepin Linux, it just seems to be Zorin that refuses to let me use my laptop monitor. I have logged a ticket two weeks ago with the Zorin team and used my purchase I.D . Still no word from them though. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

Will PM them now! :o

FlyingSquirrelZA

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:19:02 pm

Thank you so much, I sent another ticket a day or so ago and still no word.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04:06 am

Well yesterday it was stuck in my PM outbox - I have since learned that messages (PM's) stay in Outbox until read - they must have read my PM so hopefully you will hear something from them soon. ;)

FlyingSquirrelZA

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:28:36 am

Brilliant, I really hope so. What is bizarre is that last night, I was busy setting up a home media server with Ubuntu and I was using my laptop to play youtube while I was working to keep me entertained.

I locked my screen and went out for a few minutes and when I got back I unlocked the laptop....low and behold my laptop monitor came on ! However this was short lived, I checked that both my external and built in monitor was working then went to settings, Display and changed the orientation of the monitors ( so moved the primary from the top left of my external monitor to the bottom left, I hope this makes sense...my built in res is much lower than my homes external (2K) ). After clicking on apply, my built in monitor turned itself off again...

FlyingSquirrelZA

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23:57 am

Just an update, a normal update from Zorin seems to have patched my issue. Turned on my laptop over the weekend and it seems to be working perfectly now.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:55:23 am

Great news! Will mark as [RESOLVED]! ;) :D