This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

...changing nautilus to nemo as default filemanager

chrissi55

Thu May 10, 2018 1:10:34 pm

Hi folks,

i got a little bit nerved by the default filemanager "nautilus" (file) integrated in Zorin Desktop.

I missed 2 pane view as default and stability (nautilus often crashes or got frozen when connecting between NFS, SAMBA or DAV Shares)

So i looked arround for some alternatives. As a LinuxMint User (i was before trying Zorin ) i knew nemo as very good filemanager under gnome.

So what i did for the moment was:

1) installing nemo from the official repositories (apt get install nemo; aptitude install nemo)

2) using these guides
-> https://frankschierle.de/ubuntu-nautilu ... -ersetzen/
and
-> http://fenon.de/nemo-anstatt-nautilus-a ... verwenden/

3) i used the terminal and executed
-> xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search
-> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
-> gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons true

4) modified
-> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
with that entry
[Default Applications]
inode/directory=nemo.desktop
application/x-gnome-saved-search=nemo.desktop

5) and modified
-> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
with that entry
inode/directory=nemo.desktop
x-directory/normal=nemo.desktop

OK so good so far. I can now open Folders on my Desktop or my homedir via nemo instead of nautilus.

What is missing?

When choosing files for upload into my nextcloud everytime firefox or chromium opened nautilus as filemanager for choosing files
When a zipped file will be opened/unpacked by archivmanager everytime nautilus filemanager is opening instead of nemo
etc etc

So i'm missing the fully integration of nemo as default filemanager system wide .

How can i get this to work unter zorin 12.3 ?

Thanks a lot for help :-)

Swarfendor437

Thu May 10, 2018 7:37:22 pm

Hi, I think you may have some struggling with that - but! Check your Preferred Applications Settings - I can't advise at the moment as I am 'temporarily' using Zorin 12 Lite whilst working on the unofficial manual for same. I think I tried Nemo and icons were not showing up correctly - you might like to give Thunar a try instead. ;) :D

Thunar.jpg

Whatever you do NEVER remove Nautilus as it is embedded into the system, just as it is in Ubuntu on which Zorin is based - remove Nautilus and you will destroy your installation. ;) :D

chrissi55

Fri May 11, 2018 10:41:50 am

Yes, right under no circumstances somebody should uninstall or purge nautilus - this will kill zorin-desktop too :-)

But as i could see under Zorin OS there is missing a value for filemanager like under xfce Desktop?! right?

In Settings -> Details -> Preferred Apps

I found
Web
Calendar
Music
Video
Photo

But no entree for filemanager - to change my defaults.

So which tool / programm do i need to change those defaults? :roll:

Swarfendor437

Fri May 11, 2018 11:56:43 am

Hi, in xfce it is mime settings. Take a look at this guide:

https://sites.google.com/site/installat ... ilemanager

chrissi55

Sat May 12, 2018 6:13:30 am

ok

"xdg-mime query default inode/directory"

delivers -> nemo.desktop

When using command "xdg-open $HOME"
Nemo opens as expected

I also repeated those commands

"xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search"
and
"gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false"
and
"gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons true"

But that is only working for Folders on Desktop!

When opening source folder from firefox to make uploads to my cloud it opens again nautilus :-(

When having a zip file and saying extract to .... it opens again nautilus :-(

When having a file saying copy to .... it opens again nautilus :-(

So for folders and double click on them nemo is default allready, so fine. But actions from out other Programs such as Browser, Archivmanager, etc everytime nautilus get the focus, don't know why??

I followed the instruction you've mentioned.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 12, 2018 9:05:43 am

Sorry to go back to square one or if I missed it in earlier posting, are you running Core or Lite version of Zorin 12? ;) :D

Update, just found this which MIGHT help:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... on-desktop

Yes I know it says Cinnamon DE but the structure of where stuff is is usually the same. ;) :D

chrissi55

Sat May 12, 2018 2:49:28 pm

are you running Core or Lite version of Zorin 12

I'm using 12.3 Ultimate started as Zorin Desktop (gnome) not xfce

Swarfendor437

Sat May 12, 2018 4:15:11 pm

Did you read that link about the cache?

chrissi55

Sun May 13, 2018 9:19:20 am

you're thinking about this?

-> /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

Yes, i did that and changed it to

"inode/directory=nemo.desktop"

But never the less, when I enter my nextcloud, enter a folder and press the + Button to open a file, again nautilus rules the game :-(

On my Desktop or in the Filsystem klicking on a Folder Icon opens nemo as default!

It seems as if every application has it's own settings for default filemanager. But where to find the settings for e.g. firefox, archivemanager, and so on??

Swarfendor437

Sun May 13, 2018 1:04:07 pm

Hi, just been doing some more searching - does this help?:

https://websetnet.com/set-nemo-default- ... er-ubuntu/

chrissi55

Sat May 19, 2018 5:34:27 am

Sorry for delay ... i've tested a while.

But, sorry all tips only helped with enabling nemo as default fileman for desktop folders.

I suggest for a system wide solution (including firefox, archivemanager, uploads, so on...) there must be another (deeper) trigger to force zorin to ignore nautilus for everything concerning files / folders.

Would be helpful to know how zorin desktop is linked with the filemanager. So if it would be possible to "disable" nautilus totaly without uninstalling it - what would destroy the desktop...

Swarfendor437

Sat May 19, 2018 9:03:13 am

Hi chrissi55, when I last tried this my system went belly up. I will feed back your concerns to the dev team and hopefully with the next major release they will give a choice of file manager if possible, bearing in mind it is a fork of ubuntu and they have continually used nautilus as the 'de facto' file manager. I must admit I was disappointed with Zorin 12 Lite - I was hoping that the menu would have been similar to SolydX Community Stable edition:

https://vimeo.com/198422833

See my Feedback suggestion here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13908

chrissi55

Sun May 20, 2018 7:51:51 am

Anyway many thanks for your help!

I will re-install my zorin-os 12.3 maybe it will clean the config that causes nautilus to freeze or to hang.
:-)

Swarfendor437

Sun May 20, 2018 3:47:58 pm

Can you please provide us with your machine specs first?: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449