This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 12.3, Wine and GLIBC_2.27

Astyanax

Tue May 29, 2018 9:27:46 pm

Hello!

I bought Zorin OS 12.3 Ultimate. I discovered, that my game - Gekko Mahjongg - does not work with current version of Zorin OS. It runs fine with 11 lite.

From error messages, I've learnt that wine complains about absense of glibc 2.27 which is newer than installed in base system. How can I update glibc in Zorin to the needed version without breaking things?

My computer specs:
Acer Aspire One 722 with AMD C-60 cpu and AMD HD 6290 graphics.
Zorin OS 12.3, updated with Software Updater.

3D acceleration works, I tried it with Neverball. My program runs also in Virtualbox.

Steps to reproduce the problem:
1. I have registered version, but you may download shareware version of Gekko Mahjongg from here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/292747/Gekko-Mahjongg-Xmas-Edition
2. Run the installer.
3. Shortcut appears on desktop, but it's not possible to use it, so I've run Terminal.
3. Go to where the game is installed and run it:
Code:
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Gekko Mahjongg (Christmas Edition)$ wine Mahjongg.exe

4. Press Start on the menu and receive this error message:
DDraw.dll not loaded. [OK]

Finally, here is the console output:
Code:
000d:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"windowscodecs.dll": /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/lib/wine/../i386-linux-gnu/wine/windowscodecs.dll.so)
000d:err:module:import_dll Loading library windowscodecs.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe") failed (error c000007a).
000d:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" failed, status c0000135
002f:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
002f:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wined3d.dll": /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/lib/wine/../i386-linux-gnu/wine/wined3d.dll.so)
002f:err:module:import_dll Loading library wined3d.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\ddraw.dll") failed (error c000007a).

It seems, that wine is somewhat broken in current release of Zorin. Maybe it was compiled against Ubuntu Bionic Beaver, which has the needed version of glibc.

I've already mailed my question to Zorin support and received no answer since. Hope for your help.

Astyanax

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:18:46 pm

I investigated this problem and came up with this solution:

1) Removed wine shipped with Zorin:
Code:
sudo apt purge wine32
Apt replaces wine with wine1.6 and error about GLIBC_2.27 disappears.

2) Then moved my wine setup to another location:
Code:
mv ~/.wine ~/.wine_old

3) Reinstalled all programs. This time shortcuts appeared on desktop in correct form. Program runs fine afterwards.

My system is 32 bit and I have no time for experiments, maybe 64 bit edition does not have this problem?

I raised a ticket and proposed to issue an update where either recompile wine against glibc 2.23 or update glibc to 2.27.

I'm still wondering how to repair wine32 safely.

zorinantwerp

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:26:12 pm

Hi

I am running Zorin 12.3 ultimate paid version but 64 bit edition

under menu/administration/software
encounterend no issues when installing

suggest you await outcome of tickets raised (it may take some time)

thanks