This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Resolved] Software Updater

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:12:22 am

I am getting a software updater message about using untrusted packages - sound troubling!

I am petty certain I am using settings recommended on this Forum:

Screenshot from 2018-06-05 08-04-29.jpg

Am I using the correct settings?

Are these untrusted packages to be trusted - who says they are pukkah?

zorinantwerp

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:39:25 pm

Hi Finston

I had a quick check on my settings

you might take it to the test :)

cheers

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:20:42 pm

Thanks, ZorinA - I've gone along with those settings (yours), which I feel more comfortable with.

Finston Pickle

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54:29 pm

A strange updating issue here - which I thought I had resolved.

I have not been able to install updates for several weeks using Software Updater.

Zorin Antwerp suggested that software and updates > updates should be set to:

Screenshot from 2018-06-22 16-35-04.jpg

I tried that and get:

Screenshot from 2018-06-22 16-17-02.jpg

Pressing OK seems to stop the Software Updater programme.

I looked in my Zorin 9 laptop, which is updating OK and found the software and updates > updates looks like:

Screenshot from 2018-06-22 16-13-51.jpg

I tried this on my Zorin12.3 ultimate laptop and again got (as before pressing OK killed the Software Updater programme):

Screenshot from 2018-06-22 16-17-02.jpg

Any suggestions?

zorinantwerp

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:32:13 pm

Hi Finnston

I am stuck too :(

Try to find out

+++

Finston Pickle

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10:30 pm

What is going on with Software updater?

It has now stopped working on my Zorin 9 laptop - it will only open maximised and there is no button showing to start the software download.

I've raised the issue with the Zorin12 Ultimate support team (for Z 12) but have not received a reply.

I've not been able to update the Z12 software for ~6 weeks now.

Purplexed to say the least!

zorinantwerp

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25:26 pm

Hi Finston

getting involved to assist Swarf my system was not mainstream enough and one of the (non Zorin approved) kernel updates went bad so I was in the dark to understand the updating issues. I took the time to go back into history and install a backup based on 4.10.0.37 and the updater added 819 MB to bring it up to 4.13.0.45

I am now in a position to see if software updates are pushed for the Ultimate version. I will not try to install latest kernels to the 'bleeding edge' of linux :mrgreen:

cheers

Finston Pickle

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:01:57 pm

I have changed the selection from my earlier posting (to all three options selected) in Software and Updated > Updates. (In line with an Online recomendation from Ubuntu.

Then...I tried to use Synaptic Package manager to update my Zorin 12 O/S and applications.

On selecting Reload, it said it could not open http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... dfire/repo deb/ (no content, I think).

Could this be the problem? It seems, Online, as if it is to do with a reduced icon set or something.

I opened Software and Updates > Other software, selected http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... dfire/repo deb/
and chose remove.

Then I tried running Software Updater for the umpteenth time.

HEY PRESTO!! It worked as it always had before I had the recent problems.

Case Solved - at last!

zorinantwerp

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:09:33 pm

Hi, good to read how YOUR problem got solved. I was in the process on checking the updater and it works ~ so far ~without flaw. So no various DE installs at random for me anymore (without real advantage or proper backup)
for your info the option standard checked are as follows :
if required can give you print screen of 'other software' too

seen no feedback of devs

cheers

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:26:40 pm

Just be aware that if you installed 3rd Party software, for example, Opera Web Browser, it is closed source even under GNU/Linux, so your Synaptic would not pick it up - you have to manually download the .deb package from the Opera Website - the same applies for any software that is not 'Canonical' approved (sic Ubuntu). ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35:34 pm

Thanks for the point about .debs - and nice to see you back Swarf!!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:46:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome on return. ;) :D