This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[resolved] Wifi no longer available

nrgstone

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:27:49 am

1. Name (Brand) of Computer Tower/System, Notebook Brand and model: Lenovo-Z50-75

2. Amount of available Memory (RAM): 8

3. Whether Zorin is the only OS on the computer or dual-boot (e.g. Windows [and which version of Windows!] and Zorin).: ZorinOS is the only OS on this laptop

4. Hard Drive partitioning: N/A

5. Graphics card make and model, or Graphics chipset in respect of Notebooks: R7 series

6. Audio chips/Soundcard: N/A

7. Wireless Dongle or PCI Card, or Wireless chipset.
WLAN Driver (Realtek, Atheros) for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Lenovo Z40-75, Z50-75

8. Whether you ran Zorin Live first to check it worked before installing.

9. Which version of Zorin you have installed/have in mind to install. Zorin 12

So this laptop is one I loaded Zorin on for my mom since she didn't really like windows 10. Up until recently everything has been working just fine. However, she called me today to let me know that the WiFi was not working. So I picked it up thinking she just disconnected from the wifi. Nope. It isn't showing up at all. So I've checked for additional drivers, tried installing the windows drivers by extracting the file and loading up through Windows Wireless Drivers. The problem I run into is that none of the files that were extracted are .inf files. I've checked in network settings and the Wireless connection isn't showing up.

What other information would you need to help me to get this up and running?

Thanks in adavance.

zorinantwerp

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:14:23 pm

Hi

relax if it worked once it should do it again

important question : have you internet by a wired (laptop with cable to modem) connection?

suggest you follow the troubleshooting check list
Code:
https://www.datamation.com/open-source/overcoming-ubuntu-wi-fi-not-working.html

good luck - kindy advise status later on.

nrgstone

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:39:17 am

Thank you for your help.

I just got in from work and turned the laptop on and now it is able to connect to WiFi.

I have no clue what changed or what happened.

zorinantwerp

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:28:36 am

Hi nrgstone

tks for feedback - subject CLOSED