This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Resolved] Zorin File System

kpinvt

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:07:17 pm

I paid for and installed Zorin 12.3 Ultimate a few months ago on an HP EliteBook 2760p with 8 GB ram. I bought the notebook specifically to run Linux alongside Windows and finally start learning how to use Linux. I chose Zorin solely on the basis of its compatibility with the used EliteBook I own. Other distros did not work nearly as well with the hardware as Zorin does. I've toyed with using Linux for the past 15 years or so and have never stuck with it and always fell back into using Windows. The EliteBook dual boots with Windows 10 & Zorin. Last September I gave in to installing the offered upgrade from Win 7 Professional to Win 10 and am very sorry I did. It is more stable now but when first installed it crashed constantly. I have seen more Blue Screens of Death in the past 6 months than I have in the preceding 10 years. I’ve been using linuxcommand.org to teach myself Linux but the problem I’m having is the file structure on Zorin looks different to me than the one detailed on the website. Through no fault of my own I managed to get Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 Episode Two running. No matter what I’m sticking with Linux. I’m not interested in using Windows as a service.

Linx

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:15:27 am

Certifications are a great way to really learn the foundation of a tech, ComTIA's Linux+ would be a great place to learn a whole bunch about linux and really get you on your way.

I’ve been using linuxcommand.org to teach myself Linux but the problem I’m having is the file structure on Zorin looks different to me than the one detailed on the website.

Are you able to post pictures or give us a little more information? What version of ZorinOS are you running? The Core vs Ult vs Lite can make some pretty big changes. One of the greatest things about linux is the complete and total freedom to change anything and everything you want to change. From the start menu to the window manager to the desktop environment!

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27:37 pm

The moral is to stick with Zorin - keep asking questions of the forum as you go along - and gradually most of linux will become clear.

I still find mounting and unmouting a difficult concept to grasp, but rarely need to understand it. I close the lid of my laptop and go into suspend to disconnect or connect any peripheral usb device and all seems to work OK.

Personally, I have always found Zorin 9 to be better "out of the box" than Zorin 12, so it could be a better starting point, whilst it is still supported.

What I did was to buy a cheap laptop and load Zorin 9 as the sole O/S, inhibiting any safe start or UEFI features first - I've always found that loading the O/S from a DVD rather than a USB works better.

As to the file system and how it looks, you can use a variety of applications, all of which present differently - though I normally use the default Nautilus, which seems pretty good to me.

As to the file system in general, please explain your difficulties with it and someone here will help you if they can.

Welcome aboard!

wombat140

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49:06 pm

I learnt the basics from a book called "Linux - Everything you need to get started with Ubuntu Linux" by Mike Saunders. It was just what our local library happened to have (the one and only book on Linux in our library district!), but it explains really well how Linux's slightly odd (to a Windows user) filing system, program-installing methods and other distinctive habits work. It probably helps that it's aimed at Ubuntu: Zorin is closely related to Ubuntu.

I'm running Zorin 9 Core and, at a glance, the file tree that linuxcommand.org shows doesn't look obviously different from mine, though I may well be overlooking something. What have you got? Post a screenshot?

Finston Pickle

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:52:03 pm

Not totally file system, but to help one poster - I quickly learned that the best way of installing apps was to use a .deb version of the programme executable - if one is available.

BUT ... First you need to install GDEBI Packager Installer (And use it after right clicking the .deb file).

AND ... Before that you need to install Synaptic Package Manager to install the GDEBI-core package. installer - details in Swarf's setting up Zorin 12 thread from some time back.

I was going to say SIMPLES!! - but not really.

It would be better if Synaptic and GDEBI were there in Zorin from the outset - I don't know why they are not.

zorinantwerp

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:14:10 pm

Hi Finston

love your comments. when beta version of Zorin based on Ubuntu 18.04 becomes public for final community testing your viewpoints will be appreciated.

cheers

kpinvt

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:47:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. At the age of 64 I'm not looking for a professional certification as it would be highly unlikely anyone would hire me at my advanced age and decrepitude. Besides, I'm tired of working and looking forward to retirement in a few years if things aren't completely screwed up by then.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:17:38 pm

OK, when you install any GNU/Linux manually you have a choice of formats, primarily the 'safest' file system for stability purposes is the 'Ext' File System. Version 2 (Ext2) is non-journalling so best suited to SSD Hard Drives as Journaling of the OS means a lot more writes to the drive, reducing the life of the device in much the same way as an SD Card or Micro SD Card or USB memory stick/thumb drive. Ext3 and Ext4 are Journaling file systems just like Windows NT and Professional versions were using journaling file systems (NTFS) whereas FAT32 is a non-journaling system which is why you would find Windows XP Home on the early netbooks with SSD Drives. I avoid Reiser File Systems for two reasons:

1. I had a SuSE install fail on me and I lost a lot of data;
2. It was written by a guy who murdered his wife - I am surprised it is still available and one of the reasons I never bothered with an iteration of Knoppix which was on a cover DVD of a magazine and it would not install unless ReiserFS was used to partition the drives. :o