This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"Journal" and "systemd" missing?

wombat140

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:15:59 pm

A bit of a mystery. I was asking on another Linux forum (not a Zorin one) about a problem I was having (the one I meantioned here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13950), and was asked to check for error messages in "journal" and "systemd", by typing "systemctl --failed" and "sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb".
But it said "command not found" to both of those.
The person on the forum seemed very surprised at that.
(I was asked to try typing "apt search systemctl". That produced the not vastly informative reply "Sorting... Done Full Text Search... Done", and nothing else.)
Does Zorin 9 use something else instead of those packages? If so, what?

Linx

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07:43 am

Which version of ZOrin OS are you running?

systemd was a fairly recent change in the linux world?

wombat140

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:07:22 pm

9. (Like I just said :-D :-P ) There are good reasons why I don't upgrade just now.
What does Zorin 9 use instead for this function then? I did look this up and came across something talking about Systemd being newly introduced but my understanding of Linux (or possibly just my concentration) wasn't good enough to be able to understand what it replaced.

zorinantwerp

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:09:05 pm

for your info: Red Hat is the inventor and primary booster of systemd, so the best distros for playing with it are Red Hat Enterprise Linux, RHEL clones,Scientific Linux and Fedora Linux.

+++

wombat140

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38:07 pm

I've no desire at all to play with systemd! I just want to use it to check the error logs, on THIS system - or rather, this guy on LinuxForums does.

zorinantwerp

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30:10 am

In Zorin OS you can monitor logs here.

cheers