This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Slow wifi Zorin OS lite

xanadu

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46:42 am

Hey there, I've recently installed on my HP notebook (a 4 years old pc) the latest version of Zorin OS lite, but I encountered a problem. Once I connect it to my wifi network, the connection is slower and unstable, while with the previous OS (windows) it worked just fine. The interesting thing is that once I connect my phone to my network, set it as a hotspot, and then I connect the PC to the hotspot, the connection works just fine. No slowness, instability neither.
I also tried to connect my pc to another wifi network (a much more modern one, that goes both at 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz), and the connection went just fine.

What could the problem be? How could I solve it? Thanks for the eventual support!

zorinantwerp

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:06:30 pm

Hi xanadu

I would first try out a wired connection (ethernet) and check out stability and speed.
on a laptop of 4 years old I would install Zorin OS12.3 core instead of lite
requirements
Code:
https://zorinos.com/help/system-requirements/

+++

xanadu

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:06:53 pm

Hi, thanks for help, I've also tried to connect the pc to a wired connection, and the good news is that the connection went fine (it was stable), but there was also a significative slowness: with my personal laptop, not the one with zorin os, on wifi, there's a pick of connection consisting in 6mbps, but with the pc in question, on ethernet connection, the connection reaches a pick of 3mbps.

Could we find a solution for this Lite version, please?

zorinantwerp

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:51:30 pm

Hi xanadu

noted. you might search for an updated wi-fi driver of the HP model concerned. HP may not provide drivers, patches, or upgrades for Linux.
for open source alternatives you need to make a search based on the wi-fi card in your laptop.

good luck

xanadu

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:55:50 am

Yeah, the thing is that I even found the right site with the proper drivers, but I kinda dunno if that's the heart of the problem (the PC connects to the modern connection, it goes just fine, therefore I don't think that's a proper driver problem). Anyways, if that was so, would someone help me to install the open source driver? I'm a real noob in Linux, and I'm sorry to bother you all, but that's everything I could possibly do.
Thanks again!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:11:03 pm

What shows up for your network card when opening a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) or right-click anywhere on the desktop to launch Terminal and enter:

Code:
lspci