This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help With WIne

MaxTheSpy

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36:56 pm

Hey so I was trying to install a wine program to customize my mouse and keyboard functionality for a few editing programs to make everything go a lot smoother and It needs windows or mac program to run. The wine was preinstalled but when I tried to run the setup for the keyboard program it said I needed net framework 4 installed. So I tried to download the framework from the Microsoft net site and I got to the last step and it said I have broken packages and it cant be installed

zorinantwerp

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:01:52 pm

Hi

sorry the late reply. I would like you to refer to the WineHQ forum for further checking.
Code:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2586

+++

zorinantwerp

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08:02 pm

Hi

as an alternative to Wine failure you might try Oracle Virtual Box
Code:
https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-10-virtualbox-linux/

+++

MaxTheSpy

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:37:02 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

sorry the late reply. I would like you to refer to the WineHQ forum for further checking.
Code:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2586

+++

So with this I would install the Mono and then use that as the net framwork?

MaxTheSpy

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49:33 am

Having some issues with installing Mono now. Here is what the terminal output.

Code:
maxthespy@Maxwell-Zorin:~$ sudo apt install mono-devel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mono-devel : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.27) but 2.23-0ubuntu10 is to be installed or
                       libc6.1 (>= 2.27) but it is not installable or
                       libc0.1 (>= 2.27) but it is not installable
              Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.56.1) but 2.48.2-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
              Depends: libmono-system-runtime4.0-cil (>= 2.10.1) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-system-servicemodel4.0a-cil (>= 3.2.3) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-system-web-services4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: mono-mcs (= 5.12.0.226-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: mono-roslyn (= 5.12.0.226-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: mono-gac (= 5.12.0.226-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1) but 4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4 is to be installed
              Depends: mono-xbuild (= 5.12.0.226-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-cil-dev (= 5.12.0.226-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-2.0-dev (>= 5.12.0.226-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libmono-2.0-dev (< 5.12.0.226-0xamarin3+ubuntu1804b1.1~) but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: mono-csharp-shell but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: referenceassemblies-pcl but it is not going to be installed
              Recommends: msbuild but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

What am I doing wrong here?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:38:35 pm

What functionality are you trying to achieve? Dedicated keyboard functions such as multimedia etc? When I had Sabayon installed on another machine using Solar Powered Logitech Keyboard there was a package that actually mapped a lot of keys. If you are running Core you might like to install the gnome extension within Gnome-Tweak-Tool?

Please refer to the unofficial Manual that I created for more details. ;) :D

MaxTheSpy

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50:58 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:What functionality are you trying to achieve? Dedicated keyboard functions such as multimedia etc? When I had Sabayon installed on another machine using Solar Powered Logitech Keyboard there was a package that actually mapped a lot of keys. If you are running Core you might like to install the gnome extension within Gnome-Tweak-Tool?

Please refer to the unofficial Manual that I created for more details. ;) :D

Well I Am mostly trying to run my mouse and keyboard settings as well as run MetaX for movie metadata because I have a huge movie collection that is ever growing and that is the best program that I have found to do it. I couldnt find a good linux alternative for it yet. Let me know if you know of one. Either way I cant get wine to work.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:46:45 pm

Have you considered Kodi? Can't remember if it is included in Core or standard Lite versions of Zorin but I would have used that as my first choice. ;) :D

OK, think I have wandered off topic - this is probably your best solution: WinFF - it is in the repositories.

On another thread elswhere someone suggested Kid3 - which is mainly for Audio Metadata editing and embedding images.

Other possibilities are Handbrake?