This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ucaresystem core

smitjrh

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:53:47 pm

The program uCaresystem Core is recommended in Ubuntu for upgrading en cleaning.

It makes the impression to be useful.

I apply Zorin 9 and although Zorin 12.3 ( that I tried ) is quite attractive, it is too heavy for my underpowered laptop.

For this reason I have decided to stay with Zorin 9, but of course I want to keep it in optimum condition.

It might be that application of ucaresystem-core (that is not made available in Ubuntu Software Center) could
extend the life of Zorin 9.

Could anyone five some views about this matter?

Thanks!

Jaap

zorinantwerp

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:10:43 pm

Hi Jaap

Zorin 9 is supported until 2019!

interesting software but Terminal is my best friend. await comments of Swarf to convince me.

uCareSystem Core Features

Update package lists (It will refresh package index)
Downloads and install updates
Update packages and system libraries to latest available version
Remove unneeded, obsolete & orphaned packages
Remove old kernels (It keeps the current and previous one for safety purpose)
Remove unused config files
Clean downloaded temporary packages

cheers

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32:39 pm

I haven't come across this but suspect it is similar to what Personal Software Inspector did for Windows (sadly no more as of April this year), so for Windoze 7 I use Sumo lite. That said, any software that keeps an OS/Apps up to date is only of benefit if that OS is supported beyond its End-of-Life - which we all know doesn't happen, regardless of your OS. If your system supports PAE as all Zorin OS releases are all PAE support capable (bad news for older kit) then you could try Zorin Lite - The one slight advantage it has over 12.3 Core is that the Windows key launches the Windows 7 style menu so you might want to give that a try - certainly in live mode. If you want something that is 'non-PAE' enabled, then I would highly recommend the stable releases of SolydX Community Edition (stable) or Antix 17 or Sparky 5.3 - the latter distribution is on the cover of the most recent LXF239D/August 2018.

Please be aware that there are 2 mouse pointers showing as I was running the distros in Virtual Box - the smaller of the two is the embedded one for each distro - the larger on my Zorin Lite 12.3 install.

Sparky Linux 5.3 32-bit screenshots:

Sparky Linux.jpg

sparky linux desktop.jpg

SolydX 9 32-bit Community Stable Edition:

SolydX 9 Desktop.jpg

See my review of SolydX 8 here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2154&start=210#p55661 and my video here: https://vimeo.com/198422833

Antix17 32-bit screenshot:

Antix17.jpg

Hope my contributions are of help. ;) :D

Antix17 is my lightweight distro of choice as it is only 836 Mb in size (Sparky is 1.3 Gb and SolydX is 1.6 Gb) and it is blisteringly fast! :D