This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin Ultimate upgrade USB question

MoeSavoie

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:29:50 am

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my current Zorin installation (ver. 8) to the latest Ultimate 12.3. I followed all the steps, made the USB with Etcher, set my PC to boot with USB. However, when I boot the computer, it doesn't recognize that there is a bootable disk inserted. Please tell me there is something silly that I'm not doing? There's nothing special about the setup, just an older HP desktop, 64 bit, BIOS is set to boot first by removable....

zorinantwerp

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:54:36 am

Hi

start reading :). Thanks to Swarfendor437

https://app.box.com/s/71wn2fird2nee6un8t206ugm6mzui9hr

+++

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57:15 am

Just to add:

1. Has the BIOS ever been updated?

2. Have you double-checked the SHA sum of the downloaded zip file matches the one you were given by email?

3. You did not use a Download Accelerator when downloading the zip file?

4. Did you try the one time alternate boot option that HP provides via F10 key (or is it Escape?) been a while! ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00:06 am

It may not be that relevant - but it may be worth a try.

For some reason, I found that loading Zorin 12 Ultimate from a DVD ran far more smoothly (correctly installed) for me than loading from an apparently correctly loaded USB stick (failed).

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:52:02 am

My also preferred method, regardless of OS. ;) :D

MoeSavoie

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:08:35 pm

Thanks so much for the replies.
I followed all the instructions, downloaded it clean, matched the SHA sum. I haven't updated the BIOS yet. I'm going to try to install from a DVD.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58:28 pm

If burning in Windows, ONLY use imgburn at the slowest speed your burner supports. Get it from here:

https://ninite.com ;) :D

MoeSavoie

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:14:17 am

I made a bootable DVD, worked like a charm.
Thanks again.