This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A Couple Things To Watch Out For in OS 12 Ultimate

star treker

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19:50 pm

Hello everyone Startreker here :D

Do you guys remember one of the biggest issues that plagued OS 9? Thats right, it was the /boot partition being clogged up with useless old kernals that would prevent OS updates.

Well, as it turns out, low and behold, OS 12 has the same issue! Yes I know, I thought it was fixed too, but apparently its still an issue. In order to fix this, I had to go into terminal and type in............

sudo apt-get autoremove

That removed the old packages, and then I was able to update the OS. So hopefully that will help anyone running into the same problem.

The other issue is regarding Kmailservice. I did some research and found out its part of the integrated messenger, which I do not use. Well, there was at least 6 to 7 instances of the identical service running in the background, which caused my system to become really slowed down.

I highly recommend you all to download and use HTOP. Its an excellent file manager application that runs in Terminal. You can see what process are running and then shut them down. I literally had to kill all instances of that service running, in order to gain control back.

Other then that, its been smooth sailing with the OS. I was even surprised that when I set it up again, I was able to use the latest Nvidia video driver without tanking my OS this time. Cool Cool :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40:54 am

Hi star treker,
thanks for sharing your issues and solutions. I had the kernel issue on a machine at work which I now can't remember whether it was:

a) down to me creating a /boot partition or

b) allowing auto install.

I find that creating manual partitions during installation for '/', '/home' and 'swap area' avoids this issue.

I was somewhat surprised about the Kmail issue - have you installed any KDE applications? The issue that plauged Ubuntu and it's forks in respect of Gnome was the Evolution Calendar that was built into the core system and removing that would remove all Calendar functions!

As for HTOP the system already has a 'Task Manager' that allows you to view all running services and if you make a note of specific PIDs (Program Identifiers) you can make a manual note of
these and then use the 'kill' command in a terminal e.g.,

Code:
kill *** {PID}
- more info here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/59811/k ... -why#59814

You could also install 'Stacer' - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13127&hilit=+stacer#p57587

zorinantwerp

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:36:01 pm

Hi noted with interest subjects raised
on 'old kernels clogging up' I keep using ukuu as system tool :)
Code:
https://medium.com/@teejeetech/ukuu-v18-1-73b7199aa659

+++

star treker

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:15:45 pm

Your welcome man, I figured I could help some people out there who might be struggling in the same situation.

In regards to the service that was running. Believe it or not, Zorin OS, or Linux in general, is not the only OS that has suffered those kind of issues. I remember back when I was running Windows, regardless of what version I was running, from time to time, I had to go back and kill a service that shouldn't have been running, as it was slowing down the machine. I prefer HTOP because its super easy to use and user friendly IMO.

Hope you have a great day SWARF :)