This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

other zorin themes?

pcfan5

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37:46 pm

Hello ! I would like to ask if there are other zorin themes for zorin lite version? I would like a dark theme made with grey instead of black, which hurts my eyes, but don't know where to search of if there is an official channel for doing so. :?:

zorinantwerp

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46:38 pm

8-) Hi pcfan5

found this
Code:
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

suggest you contact the artist directly 8-)

cheers

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:51:44 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:8-) Hi pcfan5

found this
Code:
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

suggest you contact the artist directly 8-)

cheers

:lol: I only do Walls, not themes!

Try this pcfan5:

https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1207818/

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:35:43 pm

OK, because Zorin Lite does not follow xfce conventions of using a '.themes' folder I could not install that theme. This is what I have done to my xfce desktop DE as opposed to my default Zorin Lite one:

1_004.jpg

ian4238

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:14:35 am

As a complete amateur, may I suggest that you try: Settings/ Zorin Appearance/ Theme
You may find what you want there.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:03:14 am

ian4238 wrote:As a complete amateur, may I suggest that you try: Settings/ Zorin Appearance/ Theme

No i'm afraid you won't. To get an extensive list of themes you will need to install xfce 4.4 which is what I did. I watched an interesting review o f Lite on You Tube yesterday and an interesting point raised in it is the fact that the menu theme never changes to match the theme in use which does stick out like a sore thumb. It's turning into the new 'indicator-3' bug of Zorin 9. I've been looking at Tara (LM19) and it looks pretty cool.

pcfan5

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:42:39 pm

[quote="Swarfendor437"]OK, because Zorin Lite does not follow xfce conventions of using a '.themes' folder I could not install that theme. This is what I have done to my xfce desktop DE as opposed to my default Zorin Lite one:

Cool! you are genius, and we share the same taste in nordic music ;)

Please rephrase this my friend "the menu theme never changes to match the theme in use which does stick out like a sore thumb" I cannot understand. Do you mean the "appearance" manager comparing the "zorin appearence"?. What happen to LM 19 (Tara) ?

Anyway I am not sure about installing xfced4.4, is this another DE?

Ps I was about to jump into another topic where someone ask to install several DE , not adviced, howver en Zorin Lite, when you are about to log in you have this screen :

sc.jpg

It seems there is a base of xfced, obviously, but what is this :?: ?, I didn't find differences using it.

pcfan5

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55:45 pm

ian4238 wrote:As a complete amateur, may I suggest that you try: Settings/ Zorin Appearance/ Theme

Appreciated, I was looking to expand that list.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14:03 pm

Hi pcfan5, I get either default or xfce at boot time. Basically I searched synaptic for 'xfce' and installed all packages that were not already installed which is why I have a lot more window manager choices than the standard 'Zorin' themes. I also used solid colour for background using the color wheel to select dark grey. My point about the Zorin menu is that it does not appear to match other themes chosen. In respect of Tara there was a lot I liked. I did not want to post something incorrect as I have been looking at a lot of different OS's lately. ;) :D

pcfan5

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:18:27 am

8-) :P thank you very much.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:21:42 pm

Well, just been playing with LM19 ('Tara') xfce edition, and unlike Zorin, I can install other themes:

1_006.jpg

What is telling though is that Mint too also promotes its Mint-Y themes in much the same way Zorin does. In one respect it is more 'true' to xfce when it comes to the menu:

1_007.jpg

and the 'Super' key (Windows key) launches the menu like Zorin does too. I have been playing with Mate and Cinnamon editions in live mode.

Sadly yet another distro that only provides PAE isos - on the plus side at boot there is the option to force PAE even if your processor does not support it - and just to be clear this will mainly affect older Intel machines not AMD ones as PAE is specific to Intel Processors. ;) :D

hildingjustin`

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:37:50 pm

www.gnome-look.org has lots of themes

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:22:53 pm

hildingjustin` wrote:http://www.gnome-look.org has lots of themes

I know - that is where I got the dark theme that installed in LM xfce but would not install in Zorin Lite (xfce). :o :shock:

pcfan5

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:35:11 pm

Need update of this topic for Zorin 15 , installing xfce pacages doesn't do the trick... PS: is there any way to have linux mint themes in zorin xfce? PS2: How do I enter to xfce desktop and not to Zorin desktop (Specially from USB live , it is imposible to get it because it asks for user and password).

Aravisian

Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20:15 pm

I don't understand this whole thread. You can install themes on Zorin as easily as on Mint.

There is a new caveat, though. Now that XFCE is 4.14 which is entirely gtk3; the themes that used to work on XFCE 4.12 (GTK2) will no longer work.
Zorin 15 Lite uses XFCE 4.14. Linux Mint, currently, does not.

To enter XFCE desktop, log out. At the upper right, click the Properties Icon and select XFCE desktop - then log in.
Yes, it is possible to have Minty themes on Zorin 12.4 Lite, though some repackaging of the Mint theme may be necessary.
Mint uses Metacity (Good job mint) as well as GTK2. That makes it easy.

Using them on Zorin 15 Lite (Or any other Distro that uses XFCE 4.14 desktop becomes harder. Still possible in general.

pcfan5

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:05:42 pm

Aravisian wrote:I don't understand this whole thread. You can install themes on Zorin as easily as on Mint.

There is a new caveat, though. Now that XFCE is 4.14 which is entirely gtk3; the themes that used to work on XFCE 4.12 (GTK2) will no longer work.
Zorin 15 Lite uses XFCE 4.14. Linux Mint, currently, does not.

To enter XFCE desktop, log out. At the upper right, click the Properties Icon and select XFCE desktop - then log in.
Yes, it is possible to have Minty themes on Zorin 12.4 Lite, though some repackaging of the Mint theme may be necessary.
Mint uses Metacity (Good job mint) as well as GTK2. That makes it easy.

Using them on Zorin 15 Lite (Or any other Distro that uses XFCE 4.14 desktop becomes harder. Still possible in general.

Hi,
thank you for the gtk 2 / gtk 3 explanation, I didn't know that. And thanks for the tip regarding entering xfce desktop. Just a little observation Linux Mint now has xfce 4.14 , check their latest 19.3 version.

So How do I install new themes on zorin , through synaptics or downloading from https://www.xfce-look.org/ and copying the content to a "XX" folder?.

Aravisian

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:09:40 pm

Ah, Mint 19.3, I hardly knew you...

Very well. Mint up to 18 wasn't a traitor. The most current version is.

To install a theme on Zorin, just extract the theme folder to either
/usr/share/themes
or to
~ /.themes

pcfan5

Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:03:13 pm

Aravisian wrote:Ah, Mint 19.3, I hardly knew you...

Very well. Mint up to 18 wasn't a traitor. The most current version is.

To install a theme on Zorin, just extract the theme folder to either
/usr/share/themes
or to
~ /.themes

Thank you!