This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"Try Zorin" failed.

MikeHimself

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51:17 pm

Hi.
I just downloaded Zorin-OS-123-Core-32, validated the checksum and flashed it to a thumb drive.
I want to use it on an old machine that exceeds the minimum system requirements.
It loaded OK and and displayed the option to Try or Install.
I clicked on Try.
After a short while it displayed a list of messages, finishing with
[FAILED] Failed to start remove-custom-dns.service.
Can anyone explain this and advise what to do, please?
Interestingly it runs perfectly on a 64 bit machine.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:55:55 pm

Did you get any other failures like this?:

viewtopic.php?t=13042&start=0#p57202

zorinantwerp

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:34:13 pm

Hi

can you advise which OS is currently on your pc and specifications.
use a 'wired/corded' connection (ethernet) to your modem please

+++

MikeHimself

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:43:00 pm

I tried "Try Zorin" several times and always got the same result.
The Machine is
HP Pavilion
Celeron D 3,200Hz
1.83 Gb RAM
Loaded Windows XP Version 2002 with SP3.
The machine is on a home network and has a WI-FI connection to the service provider's (landline) modem via a generic repeater.
Ethernet connection not possible right now, we have a house full of visitors and I would have to move the entire desktop setup to another room. In any case, I would only want to use Zorin if it would work with WI-FI.
The 64 bit machine, on which it runs OK, is on the same WI-FI network.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56:52 am

Can you please go to 'Device manager | Network adapters' and brand of WiFi chipset? Also, when booting from Zorin press F6 so that you check mark items to help.booting. See page 15 of the unofficial manual I put together:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13614

MikeHimself

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:17:50 am

Ralink Technology. Identical product on both computers.
I tried F6 and got a menu to select language and "Try Zorin" and other options right away.
After I made my selection, loading into memory started. After a while the continuous flashing of the thumb drive stopped, but then it started flashing for a couple of seconds in every (approximately) 15. That stopped after a short while and then nothing, apart from the hexagonal Zorin logo being displayed. No error message seen this time.

Just found the page in your unofficial guide. Don't answer until I have tried again!

MikeHimself

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:12:56 pm

Right, tried that.
This time I saw the briefest flash of the beautiful lake, Then just a list of messages appearing briefly every few seconds, but too quick to read. Finally managed to get a photo of the screen. Can't see a way of sending an attachment, but the significant lines appear to be -
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_PR.CPU1_PDC, AE_INVA
usb 1-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71 (occurs 4 times)
usb 1-6: device not accepting address 7, error-71
usb 1-6: device not accepting address 8, error-71
usb usb1-port6: unable to enumerate USB device
Finishing with a few lines suggesting it is attempting to start - but it just keeps trying without success.
Hope this helps.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06:32 pm

Take a read toward the end of the thread. I'm wondering if it's a USB port issue on the notebook?

MikeHimself

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:18:37 am

It is a desktop not a notebook, but I agree you could be right about a USB issue.
I tried the trick of disconnecting the machine from the power supply, having had a problem some time back. I read that some components can still hold a charge as long as the machine is plugged in. Worked that time, but didn't solve this problem.
I found a couple of old CDs. Ubuntu 11.10 and Puppy Linux. I tried both, they load but don't run. No messages, they just hang. So it seems that Linux is baulking at something that Windows can handle. A mystery!
I am wondering if Zorin might work from a hard install alongside the existing system. What do you think?

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28:54 am

Based on searching on the first error message regarding Power Control (ACPI) here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226920

Can you get to the BIOS of the machine and turn ACPI off? Then give it another try. Even other distros I have tried on old notebooks give USB enumeration errors but they still work after install of the system.

It is possible to dual boot Windows and Zorin but I would err on the side of caution, as I would want to make sure that it could run in a live environment.

Just looking at your OP once more you stated the 64 bit runs OK - did you install 64-bit version on the 64-bit machine and that is why it won't install on the 32-bit? Also your RAM of 1.83 Gb is a bit low and suggests that part of the 2 Gb RAM is used for internal Graphics and that could be yet another issue. Just bear in mind that hardware has never been built to meet GNU/Linux standards but built to that other OS. If you want hardware that will run GNU/Linux then you need to look at the manual for links. ;) :D

MikeHimself

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:23:11 pm

Doesn't seem to allow me access to ACPI setting. I have read something about hacked Bios to give access to hidden settings, but that's a bit outside my comfort zone.

I used the 64-bit machine to download and flash Zorin-OS-123-Core-32. Despite being the 32-bit version, it seems to work OK on the 64-bit machine.

The old CDs I found must certainly be 32-bit. I think I downloaded them back in the days of Win 95. Puppy Linux is very small and ran entirely in memory even then. At that time it was regarded as an essential tool for data recovery.

Guess I should have a look around for a suitable secondhand box.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43:44 pm

My only other thoughts are that the older machine being a celeroon might not have PAE functionality - Zorin never produced a non-PAE iso - you might want to look at SolydX 9 Community Stable Edition or Antix-17 - neither have PAE included so will run smoothly on you old rig. ;) :D [Fingers Crossed! :lol: ]

MikeHimself

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45:56 pm

On impulse, I just ordered a secondhand Dell box similar to the 64-bit machine I already have. Only €60 delivered. What's that to a man like me! And I have to confess that I have fallen in love with Zorin. So clean and pretty, (though I do find the Z logo a bit sinister looking.) Win 10 is becoming a real pain, constantly adding features that I don't need and didn't ask for. So I am looking forward to giving Zorin a try and could well end up with it installed on both machines.
Thanks for taking the time to give me your best advice. I will come back and let you know how I get on.
Cordialement, Mike.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53:02 pm

You could always swapout the Z for 'Gnomenu':

https://vimeo.com/222391756

;) :D