This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

'search' options - configure;plug-ins?;+al utility

IanGraham

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02:07 pm

I'm finding the built-in 'Search', from the Zorin button, of limited use. It seems mainly to act as a simple 'Contents' page.
Does it need configuring eg to search for particular file-types ?
Are there maybe plug-ins which extend its functionality?
Or if the answers to these are broadly or entirely 'no', is there an additional app/utility I can get eg comparable to the 'Everything' app for Windows ?

Many thanks

Ian G.
Wales UK
:?:

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:54:05 pm

Not such a good idea? :P

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/cortana- ... windows-10

You could always get an old version of ubuntu with Amazon Lens in Unity desktop. :lol:

IanGraham

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:31:41 am

Not sure what you mean by the first comment. I'm certainly not regretting coming to Linux, and would never go to Win 10.

Nor do I particularly want to leave Zorin.

It has occurred to me since I posted: do I 'really' need to go via the command prompt? Presumably there is a set of commands comparable to Dos's <dir>?

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46:58 am

Are you wanting a file search manager? Then use 'Files' = Nautilus. You could also install Thunar File Manager which is the default file manager for Zorin Lite. I have tried it in Zorin Ultimate without causing any conflicts - it also comes with its own 'Bulk Renamer' for batch converting files. ;) :D

pcfan5

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:35:34 pm

IanGraham wrote:I'm finding the built-in 'Search', from the Zorin button, of limited use. It seems mainly to act as a simple 'Contents' page.
Does it need configuring eg to search for particular file-types ?
Are there maybe plug-ins which extend its functionality?
Or if the answers to these are broadly or entirely 'no', is there an additional app/utility I can get eg comparable to the 'Everything' app for Windows ?

Many thanks

Ian G.
Wales UK
:?:

Hi there!, I know what you mean,I have been looking for a searching option within menu where I could find my files as well , not only my apps . This is in Zorin Lite version. Which version do you use? :?:

I also wish I could make a general search as in windows, where I could also find documents by its content, you know you have several document files and in the search bar you could find the wished one by the content , if you forgot the file name.
I miss this things... so I know what you mean... (for this matter I haven't find an alternative yet)

For the first matter, There is a way , but it is not the same as windows, I meant I wasn't able to achieve it from the search bar (non in Core neither in Lite). This is quite similar to what "@swarf" said before, you can search your files from the" file browser", in my case , I have "thunar", in Zorin Lite, but you can install "Caja" (which has more options or at least the way of searching is easy , visible , friendly, etc) you can install it from "software manager " (previously make a system back up using " reddo backup" tool) and don't uninstall "thunar" or "nemo" after, you can leave it alone, and if you wish "caja " to be your default "file browser" you can set it in "default applications". ;)

Under LM mate desktop the main menu has a wider searcher, but I don't know how to integrate something like this in Zorin menues, or if it is even possible, because it is something integrated in the LM menu as I said, and thought for that desk.. I would be appreciated if Zorin developers can add an option over this . :mrgreen: Please :ugeek:

IanGraham

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00:17 am

Thank you to swarfendor for your further suggestion, and to pcfan5. I'm in Zorin 12, btw.
Yes, OK, the search in Files is quite useful. I'd overlooked that, distracted by the more obvious 'button search'. I note the other suggestions for possible future exploration.
Cheers
Ian G.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40:11 am

If you install Cinnamon DE you can have the search bar in the menu search directories. ;) :D

pcfan5

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:38:46 pm

Is it possible to install Cinnamon DE over Zorin?. If so , and if you have time, I think we should open another topic over this. :ugeek: