This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

getting acpi to work???

jbar2016

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02:20 pm

hi i am brand new to zorin os, and basically a newby to linux as well, i have only used kubuntu breifly, i am well versed on the windows platform but not with linux.

so here is my issue, i have an Acer Aspire cloudbook 14, the only way i can get the laptop to boot the live usb is if i add acpi=off, and i believe it maintained that setting after install as i did not have to re input it, but the laptop is lacking the advanced power options like, suspend, battery management etc, is there a way to get acpi working so i can use the functions associated to acpi?

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:21:17 pm

I would wait for someone with knowledge of using a notebook with your issue, in the meantime this MAY help:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagementASPM

;)

jbar2016

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:21:35 am

thank you for the reply and i will look into the post you suggested.

i use acpi=off to get linux to boot, but i have been reading alot on this and it is a bit confusing with conflicting fixes etc, but the one thing that stands out is it seems this command commonly boots as well: edd=off noapic modprobe.blacklist=pinctrl_cherryview. i dont know what it does and have not had to try myself, should i try these commands instead of acpi=off?

zorinantwerp

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:10:20 am

Hi

Acer Aspire cloudbook 14 has a reputation and plenty of google links can be found from users complaining

acpi=off OR noacpi: This parameter disables the whole ACPI system. This may prove very useful, for example, if your computer does not support ACPI or if you think the ACPI implementation might cause some problems (for instance random reboots or system lockups).

+++

jbar2016

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:45:14 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

Acer Aspire cloudbook 14 has a reputation and plenty of google links can be found from users complaining

acpi=off OR noacpi: This parameter disables the whole ACPI system. This may prove very useful, for example, if your computer does not support ACPI or if you think the ACPI implementation might cause some problems (for instance random reboots or system lockups).

+++

I have found the solution to the acpi issue, and why the other commands were not working.

i was using acpi=off, after much reading i was successful using the "noapic" command, this is the only fix i found and this is case sensitive. when you use this command the mouse stops working unless it is set as basic in bios.

acpi=off disables acpi and all functions related, but the system boots
noacpi has no effect, system does not boot

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56:54 pm

So can this thread be marked as solved? ;) :D