This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZorinOs Lite 12.4 - Ubuntu Start Screen ? - Big mess booting

pcfan5

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:48:39 pm

Hello The most Strange thing is happening, I have dowloaded Ubuntu latest version just to see how it was, put it into an USB live with "multisystem", then erased it with the same program, dowloaded ZorinOS Lite 12.4 , and when I tried to boot , it shows me the start screen of Ubuntu 18, I formated in FAT 32 , charged all the ISO's again , startin this time with Zorin Lite 12.4 , and I have the same problem. I have dowloaded the image of Zorin from the official site , twice.

The USB pen drive has two fat 32 partitions, it is 16 GB , I have 12 B for the "multisystem" whole thing and 3 gb for data. (this last partition was also formated in fat32), The rest of the ISO's boots fine. So....how come my Zorin Lite 12.4 is stacked with the Ubuntu starting screen, after this an error is shown, it is related to not having removed the device saftly, but now it is formated... I don't understand :o :?

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:31:12 pm

Hi, something could have gone wrong with the thumb drives' boot partition? Run your zorin install, install gparted (as most distributions remove it after the OS is installed to prevent errors by users with not much understanding), run 'gparted' after you have installed the thumb drive to your machine - I would delete all partitions so that there is nothing left (after backing up any essential stuff) then re-format to FAT32 and install MultiSystem afresh. ;) :D

pcfan5

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, something could have gone wrong with the thumb drives' boot partition? Run your zorin install, install gparted (as most distributions remove it after the OS is installed to prevent errors by users with not much understanding), run 'gparted' after you have installed the thumb drive to your machine - I would delete all partitions so that there is nothing left (after backing up any essential stuff) then re-format to FAT32 and install MultiSystem afresh. ;) :D

ah jajaaj we have the same thought, and so I did , and I put ZorinOS 12.4 as the only image in the USB pendrive, with multisystem, it still starts with a screen ubuntu 16.04 (I am sorry I said it wrong before because I associated with the Ubuntu version I have downloaded earlier) , this is strange since I am able to boot without problems in Virtual Box from the ISO itself.

I have been using gparted and multisystem from LMint, I have dowloaded the ISO in that computer.

Here is a sample, at the begining it says "Busy Box"...

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39:05 pm

You have to remember that Zorin is a fork of Ubuntu so you will get something of Ubuntu showing up at some point or other - see if the 'fsck' commands stated here help:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/781315/ ... -initramfs

pcfan5

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28:54 pm

yes, I thought the same. I think here I have a problem with the compatibility between the ISO and the way it is converted/adapted to the USB live, I don't have another pendrive to try with a different program , just like the one suggested in the zorin site Thank you for the link I will try the sugestions given there, altough the second one seems too difficult for me
The only way I have to boot in USBlive mode is in Zorin 12.3 I also have gparted install in my PC system, I mention this just in case it is of any use, altough I understand it would be better to run gparted from usblive.

Do you thing it is an issue with the pendrive or with the ISO? I have another 3 images in it (after I delete the partition al format it to fat 32) , and they all work.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:40:18 pm

It could be the pen drive - I had some issues trying to get OzDiamondBII to install to my MultiSystem disk recently but finally got it working. I've had some issues with the stick in work Notebooks in not getting picked up, or seemed like it, so you remove it, then insert in a Windows machine that reports errors. I had to use MultiSystem on my Zorin install to clean up the GRUB. If you have gparted installed then use that - you don't have to use a live usb for gparted - just ensure you recognise which disk/usb you are looking at before using gparted. ;) :D

pcfan5

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:39:19 pm

Hi, thank you for your kind replay as alwasy, I have tried with this option from the link you post here e2fsck -f -y -v -C 0 /dev/sdaX, the first ones where very difficult to me as I don't know how to use terminal very well.

In fact I tried with the first one , and both gave me errors related to ext2 /ext4 , my pendrive is in fat32. I wonder why this error with ZorinOs 12.4 , since I have ZorinOS 12.3 in the same pendrive and I boot into it without trouble....

I don't know what else to do. I have already deleted the partitions, formated in fat32, verified fsck from gparted, could this be a problem in the ISO?, I don't want to mess up any longer with my pendrive, I am afraid I could spoil it.

Should I reinstall "mutisystem"?

If there is anycomand I should write , please I would like to ask if you could write it here,pleae. My device is /dev/sdc1

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:26:39 pm

If you reinstalll multisystem from the tarball I posted, hopefully it will pick up the usb drive, ask you to identify which one you want MultiSystem to install to and it will overwrite your existing GRUB with a new one - try that first. Remember, thumb/usb drives have a limited shelf life as they use the same technology as SSD's continuous writing to same will eventually end its life sooner rather than later. ;) :D

pcfan5

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:14:17 pm

Hi, thanks!. Where did you post taht tarball?.
I haven't have any issues with the version I have already installed. I have put 3 different ISO's + Zorin12.4, this is the only one that doesn't work.
Pendrive is new. Bought it this year.

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:35:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13887&hilit=+Multisystem

It's an old version but will update after you put your password in the terminal.

pcfan5

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:08:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13887&hilit=+Multisystem

It's an old version but will update after you put your password in the terminal.

thank you!

pcfan5

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:53:08 pm

Update, I keep having the same error . I have tried to apply the suggestion given in the link but I don't know very well how to run those comands in console. So I followed what I know, and remove the ISO with "multisystem" and added again, in a different order ( I previously formated the usbunit, which is a new one) I don't have problems with 12.4 ISO under virtual box, (as an image CD).
I don't have problems booting my USBunit / pendrive with 12.3 ISO.
Another suggestion? regarding ways to "fix" the USB, or :?: maybe multisystem isn't compatible with this new zorin ISO.? :?: :!:

Update 2: Sames Happens with Zorin Core 12.4 Version. Anyway, as I wasn't able to avoid the updater manager for updating kernel I now got and upgrade to 12.4 :roll: :lol:

pcfan5

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:27:03 pm

Hi there!!, I would like to tell that I discharged any problem in the USB drive, but I asume the problem regarding ZorinOS 12.4 Core a Lite ISO versions (both gave me the ubuntu screen posted above), is related to multisystem, I have many other ISO in my pendrive , each working. What do you think? Has anyone else tried putting Zorin 12.4 in a pendrive with multisystem and another distros in it?

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14:30 pm

Hi, I haven't got round to trying 12.4 on a USB yet. I recently had an update come through on MultiSystem via SoftwareUpdater. ;) :D

pcfan5

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:04:35 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I haven't got round to trying 12.4 on a USB yet. I recently had an update come through on MultiSystem via SoftwareUpdater. ;) :D

WOW ! that news comes in handy ; )

pcfan5

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:42:58 pm

Hello again, The same issue again.... is it a multisystem problem?

I have set in a pendrive several ISO with MULTISYSTEM , linuxmint, linux MX , windows 10 , everything boots but Zorin Lite 14.3 and Redo Back up tool don't . Still getting this message..

20190616_125434.jpg

I don't get this under Yumi. However under YUMI I got other issues.... I like to have this pendrive as a tool for working... I don't want to format it everytime I need a ISO, because sometimes it is needed especially when OS get broken.

How can I sovled this? the solution given in the screen don't work , anyway I am not in a Windows enviroment.

My laptop is from 2012, it has Bios, not big trouble there.

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:41:17 am

It tells you to "gracefully" shut down.

I love it.

Are you using these as Portable O.S. that restore to default after each use or that are physically installed and save data after use?

pcfan5

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:05:10 am

Aravisian wrote:It tells you to "gracefully" shut down.

I love it.

Are you using these as Portable O.S. that restore to default after each use or that are physically installed and save data after use?

Potable use, just for installation purposes.

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:50:42 am

pcfan5 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:It tells you to "gracefully" shut down.

I love it.

Potable use, just for installation purposes.

Ah, then the workaround I was thinking of won't work for you. Others may have more helpful suggestions, but honestly, if it was me, I would just unetbootin another usb and dongle it on a keychain with your current USB. You would have to supply another USB gig stick, and it's not the perfect solution we may want... but it probably is the simplest to get you up and running.
Personally, I always created a new USB bootable for each installation to avoid problems.

pcfan5

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59:58 am

Thanks. The truth is I don't understand this failure... It all started with the Zorin 15 ISO not being able to but after adding the image to the flashdrive with YUMI. I usualy find problems trying to make multiboot USB when adding Zorin Images.
On the other hand I like to keep a linux ISO close just in case my linux gets broken and I don't have another computer near

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:38:56 am

pcfan5 wrote:Thanks. The truth is I don't understand this failure... It all started with the Zorin 15 ISO not being able to but after adding the image to the flashdrive with YUMI. I usualy find problems trying to make multiboot USB when adding Zorin Images.
On the other hand I like to keep a linux ISO close just in case my linux gets broken and I don't have another computer near

I understand. You want it to work the way it is supposed to, not with a work-around.
I honestly doubt I will be very helpful... But tomorrow, I will try testing it in VirtualBox with Multi-system and see what happens, see what goes wrong and see if I can find a way of fixing it. If I find anything, I will post it.
I have a bunch of copies, now... of Manjaro, Makulu, Solyd, Antix, MX, Lubuntu and so on, so I am sure I can really bog down some Multisystem usb.

pcfan5

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:07:08 pm

Thank you very much!. I think the problem is given when trying to put on it Windows. However as you can see at the begining of this post, I alwasys have problems with Zoring ISO's. Maybe there is a way of use I don't know. I will make another try... since It came to my mind a memory , something that I read a long time ago, regarding putting the WIndows image first....

Just in case what I want to do put in it is this:
Windows 10
Zorin Lite 12.3
Zorin Core 15 (and also lite when it cames out)
Linux mint 19.1
Linux MX-18.3
Redobackup

My pen drive is an ADATA 16 GB.

Thank you very much for you effort in this.

PS: I don't know how to boot from USB in Virtual Box, everythin I tried so far was futile.. I must google it .

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:24:51 pm

pcfan5 wrote:Thank you very much!. I think the problem is given when trying to put on it Windows. However as you can see at the begining of this post, I alwasys have problems with Zoring ISO's. Maybe there is a way of use I don't know. I will make another try... since It came to my mind a memory , something that I read a long time ago, regarding putting the WIndows image first....

Just in case what I want to do put in it is this:
Windows 10
Zorin Lite 12.3
Linux mint 19.1
Linux MX-18.3
Redobackup

Thank you very much for you effort in this.

PS: I don't know how to boot from USB in Virtual Box, everythin I tried so far was futile.. I must google it .

This worked for me about 50 minutes ago; hope it helps you out:
https://www.howtogeek.com/187721/how-to ... irtualbox/

One thing I noticed early on about Zorin is that when I wanted to customize GDM, which is easy on other distros, was that it was very 'not easy' on Zorin.
Even using LightDM on Zorin, customizing the start up and such is more limited. I had to go into root and manually reconfigure the files to do it. This suggests that Zorin Team made Zorin to be 'unique" and definitely Zorin - not like other distros. I now know the why and the how of what makes Zorin different on GDM start up, but it's not worth it to me to "fix" it when all I needed to do was replace the files with the ones I wanted to use.

I suspect that there is something similar going on with Multisystem that conflicts with how Zorin installs to disk. Whereas that "uniqueness" created a minor annoyance for me, it is a major thorn in your paw.
In the meantime, please be sure to NOT CHECK OFF the "Connect to internet" to save downloading files after install option.

pcfan5

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41:56 pm

Thank you for your reply , the tip for virtual box is appreciated!!

I hardly understand what you mean about GDM, but don't worry I got the general picture...
It is a pitty, I 've been having this issue since 12.3 came out.

So, it would be great if the "arquitects" could jump into this conversation in order to know for sure if Zorin ISO is able to be part of a multiboot USB , or not.

What problems does this cause?:

In the meantime, please be sure to NOT CHECK OFF the "Connect to internet" to save downloading files after install option.

regards

PS: I read again old threads or posts , where we spoke about this with @swarf, he had already mentioned that windows brought him troubles under multisystem aswell. And I also read about this from another user in another forum. So I will put W10 somewhere else... I did had W7 without trouble, but W10 is another thing.
Off topic / related: What is bother my , is the fact that Redoback up tool won't work either after putting it in the same usb flash drive with multisystem.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:48:54 am

pcfan5 wrote:Thank you for your reply , the tip for virtual box is appreciated!!

I hardly understand what you mean about GDM, but don't worry I got the general picture...

GDM, the initial login splash screen, but yes- the picture being that Zorin tweaked some features to be exclusive to Zorin.
pcfan5 wrote:What problems does this cause?

1.) Sometimes, it tries to connect over and over through-out the installation process.
2.) When it connects, it looks for updates or additional packages to install with the initial installation. This can be helpful for many reasons, one being that the proper space is allocated for blocks of packages on the drive (No defragging). This isn't too important, though because that can be handled after the install. What can happen, though, is files get corrupted or jumbled up since it basically becomes two installations of the same package at once. It is supposed to default to newer, but I have found that doesn't always happen that way.
Since it is making changes during the installation, it's probably not too different from if you are working on a project and then someone changes the plan on you a few times. It increases the probability that something will get mixed up or go wrong.
It's better to finish what you start, then make adjustments, updates or corrections after.
pcfan5 wrote:PS: I read again old threads or posts , where we spoke about this with @swarf, he had already mentioned that windows brought him troubles under multisystem aswell. And I also read about this from another user in another forum. So I will put W10 somewhere else... I did had W7 without trouble, but W10 is another thing.
Off topic / related: What is bother my , is the fact that Redoback up tool won't work either after putting it in the same usb flash drive with multisystem.

You are definitely not alone!
It's also tricky with USB install without disk, just one O.S. on a clean system sometimes. Without MS involved.
The ToughBook I just got, I was very lucky on. It has No Disk Reader, only USB. I had no choice but to install with USB. But 12.4 lite installed perfectly and smoothly. I may not be as lucky next time. But MXLinux gave me trouble on it with USB install before I got it installed (With errors).
It's not just Zorin, Bionic Beaver and Xenial have had issues with it from what I have read. And - I wonder if the redobackup having similar trouble is a clue--- or just coincidence...

Aravisian

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54:09 am

pcfan5 wrote:Just in case what I want to do put in it is this:
Windows 10
Zorin Lite 12.3
Linux mint 19.1
Linux MX-18.3
Redobackup

This is interesting.

I have MX already... what I lacked was Zorin 15 and Mint. As well as Windows. Copies of them, I mean.
Ok, so I multisystem-boot created on my 32 gig stick with Lubuntu, Zorin 12.4 Core, MX Linux, Zorin 12.4 Lite. I could not duplicate. I had no problems.
I borrowed a copy of Windows and repeated it. I had no problems then, either. I was getting frustrated.
I downloaded Mint. Put that on the drive.
Windows and Mint worked fine- Zorin didn't.
I removed Mint only- then I had no problems.

I'm confused. Tried again by repeating the four steps above- same result. Probably coincidence...

It's late here now, almost 4am. Calling it a night and will experiment more tomorrow.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:24:37 pm

PCFan, are you using Persistence?
I am assuming you formatted USB to FAT32. Funny thing is, I noticed this morning that I had gotten in a big hurry and forgot that step. Mine was formatted in vfat all day yesterday. I will retry with Windows on Multiboot with the USB formatted FAT32, this evening.
I have been using "Multiboot USB", not "YUMI."

Aravisian

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:46:49 pm

PCFan, I have had no luck in duplicating. Needless to say, this does not in any way demonstrate that you haven't had the trouble you describe.
But... I wonder if you duplicate what I have done, instead, if it may help you.
Can you try downloading fresh copies of the Zorin OS's you want, then use "MultiBoot USB" On a freshly formatted FAT32 gigstick and see what happens?
I... Suspect, you have tried similar like forty times by now... But I ask anyway...

Aravisian

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:58:02 pm

Update:
AZorin responded to a Request on this issue. PM sent.

In the meantime, all the testing I did on this topic suggested to me that MultibootUSB is fast, easy and reliable. I had no issues using either Zorin 12 or 15 on eitherof two computers I had available to test on.
Which by the way, PCFan, you owe me one. I had to install Windows on my personal computer to test it. (Don't worry, once I was done, I sent in some thermonuclear ICBMs and blasted it off the drive. I'll be cleaning up the stain for months, though.)
Zorin Team Recommends Rufus or BalenaEtcher. Using either of those, I was unable to replicate the issue.
Admittedly, after four installs of Windows each on each of those 3rd party softwares, I wanted to lie down on the highway holding a bouquet of tulips, so that is as far as testing went on those two.
In my defense, that's twelve total installs of Windows, though.

PCFan,have you had any luck troubleshooting on your end?