ZorinOs Lite 12.4 - Ubuntu Start Screen ? - Big mess booting

Re: ZorinOs Lite 12.4 - Ubuntu Start Screen ? - Big mess boo

Postby Aravisian » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:38 am

pcfan5 wrote:Thanks. The truth is I don't understand this failure... It all started with the Zorin 15 ISO not being able to but after adding the image to the flashdrive with YUMI. I usualy find problems trying to make multiboot USB when adding Zorin Images.
On the other hand I like to keep a linux ISO close just in case my linux gets broken and I don't have another computer near

I understand. You want it to work the way it is supposed to, not with a work-around.
I honestly doubt I will be very helpful... But tomorrow, I will try testing it in VirtualBox with Multi-system and see what happens, see what goes wrong and see if I can find a way of fixing it. If I find anything, I will post it.
I have a bunch of copies, now... of Manjaro, Makulu, Solyd, Antix, MX, Lubuntu and so on, so I am sure I can really bog down some Multisystem usb.
Aravisian

Postby pcfan5 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Thank you very much!. I think the problem is given when trying to put on it Windows. However as you can see at the begining of this post, I alwasys have problems with Zoring ISO's. Maybe there is a way of use I don't know. I will make another try... since It came to my mind a memory , something that I read a long time ago, regarding putting the WIndows image first....

Just in case what I want to do put in it is this:
Windows 10
Zorin Lite 12.3
Zorin Core 15 (and also lite when it cames out)
Linux mint 19.1
Linux MX-18.3
Redobackup

My pen drive is an ADATA 16 GB.

Thank you very much for you effort in this.

PS: I don't know how to boot from USB in Virtual Box, everythin I tried so far was futile.. I must google it .
pcfan5

Postby Aravisian » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:24 pm

pcfan5 wrote:Thank you very much!. I think the problem is given when trying to put on it Windows. However as you can see at the begining of this post, I alwasys have problems with Zoring ISO's. Maybe there is a way of use I don't know. I will make another try... since It came to my mind a memory , something that I read a long time ago, regarding putting the WIndows image first....

Just in case what I want to do put in it is this:
Windows 10
Zorin Lite 12.3
Linux mint 19.1
Linux MX-18.3
Redobackup

Thank you very much for you effort in this.

PS: I don't know how to boot from USB in Virtual Box, everythin I tried so far was futile.. I must google it .

This worked for me about 50 minutes ago; hope it helps you out:
https://www.howtogeek.com/187721/how-to ... irtualbox/

One thing I noticed early on about Zorin is that when I wanted to customize GDM, which is easy on other distros, was that it was very 'not easy' on Zorin.
Even using LightDM on Zorin, customizing the start up and such is more limited. I had to go into root and manually reconfigure the files to do it. This suggests that Zorin Team made Zorin to be 'unique" and definitely Zorin - not like other distros. I now know the why and the how of what makes Zorin different on GDM start up, but it's not worth it to me to "fix" it when all I needed to do was replace the files with the ones I wanted to use.

I suspect that there is something similar going on with Multisystem that conflicts with how Zorin installs to disk. Whereas that "uniqueness" created a minor annoyance for me, it is a major thorn in your paw.
In the meantime, please be sure to NOT CHECK OFF the "Connect to internet" to save downloading files after install option.
Aravisian

Postby pcfan5 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:41 am

Thank you for your reply , the tip for virtual box is appreciated!!

I hardly understand what you mean about GDM, but don't worry I got the general picture...
It is a pitty, I 've been having this issue since 12.3 came out.

So, it would be great if the "arquitects" could jump into this conversation in order to know for sure if Zorin ISO is able to be part of a multiboot USB , or not.

What problems does this cause?:

In the meantime, please be sure to NOT CHECK OFF the "Connect to internet" to save downloading files after install option.

regards

PS: I read again old threads or posts , where we spoke about this with @swarf, he had already mentioned that windows brought him troubles under multisystem aswell. And I also read about this from another user in another forum. So I will put W10 somewhere else... I did had W7 without trouble, but W10 is another thing.
Off topic / related: What is bother my , is the fact that Redoback up tool won't work either after putting it in the same usb flash drive with multisystem.
pcfan5

Postby Aravisian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:48 am

pcfan5 wrote:Thank you for your reply , the tip for virtual box is appreciated!!

I hardly understand what you mean about GDM, but don't worry I got the general picture...

GDM, the initial login splash screen, but yes- the picture being that Zorin tweaked some features to be exclusive to Zorin.
pcfan5 wrote:What problems does this cause?

1.) Sometimes, it tries to connect over and over through-out the installation process.
2.) When it connects, it looks for updates or additional packages to install with the initial installation. This can be helpful for many reasons, one being that the proper space is allocated for blocks of packages on the drive (No defragging). This isn't too important, though because that can be handled after the install. What can happen, though, is files get corrupted or jumbled up since it basically becomes two installations of the same package at once. It is supposed to default to newer, but I have found that doesn't always happen that way.
Since it is making changes during the installation, it's probably not too different from if you are working on a project and then someone changes the plan on you a few times. It increases the probability that something will get mixed up or go wrong.
It's better to finish what you start, then make adjustments, updates or corrections after.
pcfan5 wrote:PS: I read again old threads or posts , where we spoke about this with @swarf, he had already mentioned that windows brought him troubles under multisystem aswell. And I also read about this from another user in another forum. So I will put W10 somewhere else... I did had W7 without trouble, but W10 is another thing.
Off topic / related: What is bother my , is the fact that Redoback up tool won't work either after putting it in the same usb flash drive with multisystem.

You are definitely not alone!
It's also tricky with USB install without disk, just one O.S. on a clean system sometimes. Without MS involved.
The ToughBook I just got, I was very lucky on. It has No Disk Reader, only USB. I had no choice but to install with USB. But 12.4 lite installed perfectly and smoothly. I may not be as lucky next time. But MXLinux gave me trouble on it with USB install before I got it installed (With errors).
It's not just Zorin, Bionic Beaver and Xenial have had issues with it from what I have read. And - I wonder if the redobackup having similar trouble is a clue--- or just coincidence...
Aravisian

Postby Aravisian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:54 am

pcfan5 wrote:Just in case what I want to do put in it is this:
Windows 10
Zorin Lite 12.3
Linux mint 19.1
Linux MX-18.3
Redobackup

This is interesting.

I have MX already... what I lacked was Zorin 15 and Mint. As well as Windows. Copies of them, I mean.
Ok, so I multisystem-boot created on my 32 gig stick with Lubuntu, Zorin 12.4 Core, MX Linux, Zorin 12.4 Lite. I could not duplicate. I had no problems.
I borrowed a copy of Windows and repeated it. I had no problems then, either. I was getting frustrated.
I downloaded Mint. Put that on the drive.
Windows and Mint worked fine- Zorin didn't.
I removed Mint only- then I had no problems.

I'm confused. Tried again by repeating the four steps above- same result. Probably coincidence...

It's late here now, almost 4am. Calling it a night and will experiment more tomorrow.
Aravisian

Postby Aravisian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 pm

PCFan, are you using Persistence?
I am assuming you formatted USB to FAT32. Funny thing is, I noticed this morning that I had gotten in a big hurry and forgot that step. Mine was formatted in vfat all day yesterday. I will retry with Windows on Multiboot with the USB formatted FAT32, this evening.
I have been using "Multiboot USB", not "YUMI."
Aravisian

Postby Aravisian » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 pm

PCFan, I have had no luck in duplicating. Needless to say, this does not in any way demonstrate that you haven't had the trouble you describe.
But... I wonder if you duplicate what I have done, instead, if it may help you.
Can you try downloading fresh copies of the Zorin OS's you want, then use "MultiBoot USB" On a freshly formatted FAT32 gigstick and see what happens?
I... Suspect, you have tried similar like forty times by now... But I ask anyway...
Aravisian

Postby Aravisian » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Update:
AZorin responded to a Request on this issue. PM sent.

In the meantime, all the testing I did on this topic suggested to me that MultibootUSB is fast, easy and reliable. I had no issues using either Zorin 12 or 15 on eitherof two computers I had available to test on.
Which by the way, PCFan, you owe me one. I had to install Windows on my personal computer to test it. (Don't worry, once I was done, I sent in some thermonuclear ICBMs and blasted it off the drive. I'll be cleaning up the stain for months, though.)
Zorin Team Recommends Rufus or BalenaEtcher. Using either of those, I was unable to replicate the issue.
Admittedly, after four installs of Windows each on each of those 3rd party softwares, I wanted to lie down on the highway holding a bouquet of tulips, so that is as far as testing went on those two.
In my defense, that's twelve total installs of Windows, though.

PCFan,have you had any luck troubleshooting on your end?
Aravisian

Previous

Return to Help and Support