This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] help installing hp printer???

jbar2016

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:54:15 pm

so i am trying to get my hp laserjet to work with zorin.

the printer is network setup via ethernet, the systems see the printer and install it, when i print it stops soon after, no errors or anything just a print icon with a red !. and a notice that printing has stopped for ... printer.

after reading a bunch i tried to install hplip but that would not install when downloaded from hp's linux site, and i cannot find it in the software manager when i search, so i continued to read posts and came to a misconfiguration so i reinstalled windows on one of the sstems to re configure the network settings and that did not work either.

any help would greatly help

zorinantwerp

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:48:36 pm

Hi

install under menu/software 'synaptic package manager'
under search fill in the correct type of laserjet

pls report outcome

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:03:44 pm

If you download my unofficial manual for Zorin you will see why I advised you need to install Synaptic Package Manager as it has additional packages you might need (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13614). Also, as the printer is on a network, whilst it still will show the same interface for adding a printer, it is sometimes better to open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

https://www.ibic.washington.edu/wiki/pa ... d=21135406

jbar2016

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:58:27 pm

ok, so i have read the unofficial manual, and it is and will be a great help!

i am still unable to install a printer via hplip.

so when i try to add a printer with hp lip gui, it sees the printer and begins install but then it gets stuck at a password screen to install a plugin and i cannot pass.
i then removed hplip and downloaded hplip via hp, and tried installing via terminal and that fails at a password screen.
so i reinstalled hplip via s.p.m. and i found the plugin needed at a different forum, while installing it cannot find the hplip installation and fails??? asks "is hplip installed on this machine"

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:02:47 pm

Hi, the password screen is for you to enter your login password to elevate your privileges to 'root' (=Administrator) in that other OS. ;) :D

jbar2016

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:28:56 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, the password screen is for you to enter your login password to elevate your privileges to 'root' (=Administrator) in that other OS. ;) :D

I understand that hplip needs root access to install.

I cannot proceed because my login password does not work when i use it with hplip, "the password is incorrect, 2 tries remaining"

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:34:04 pm

You haven't got autologin enabled have you? :(

jbar2016

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17:20 pm

I do have auto log in enabled, i should disable it and try again?

I will let you know of result tonight

jbar2016

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26:00 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You haven't got autologin enabled have you? :(

So i tried with auto login off and it still would not work past the password screen...

zorinantwerp

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42:12 pm

Hi

it sucks but do not give up :(
your pop up requesting your password it is not the 'Enter password to unlock your login keyring' is it
goto Terminal (ctrl+Alt+t)

recover lost password
-Reboot your computer.
-Hold Shift during boot to start GRUB menu.
-Highlight your image and press E to edit.
-Find the line starting with "linux" and append rw init=/bin/bash at the end of that line.
-Press Ctrl + X to boot.
-Type in passwd username.
-Set your password.

if above fails I would try to use commands
goto Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t)
test
reboot and cross fingers
+++

jbar2016

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56:40 pm

If the login and root passwords are seperate this will make sense, i will try resetting the password and will update around 6pm or so with the above suggestion.

And I have no intention of giving up, we will figure this out!

jbar2016

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:14:34 am

so quick update..

i setup a root password and it passed the "test" after updating, i will try hplip now

hplip installed and my printer is now working, i decided to use the password reset via sudo psswd root.

thank you all for the help! i am not sure how to mark as solved

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:08:39 pm

Hi, Glad you are sorted! ;) :D

Have marked as [SOLVED] - for future reference, go to your original posting and click on the 'Edit' button to the right of the subject header and edit the Subject field by adding [SOLVED] in front of the subject. ;)