This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Problem with 802.1x authentication

netkingcool

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30:43 pm

Hi All,

Back again to the Forum, this time about the following:

Recently, I came across with 802.1x authentication and this feature looked very interesting
to upgrade my Zorin installation security. The thing is, that I cannot find a specific
step-by-step tutorial ( for dummies ) about configuration - For instance, should I choose MD5
or anyother of Zorin options for this? ( yeap, this is as far as my IT knowledge goes :? ).
So, can someone please point a good one?

Txs in advance

Antonio P.

My desktop: cpu FX 8320, ram 16 GB, GPU NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti, OS ZORIN 12.4 Ultimate

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57:34 am

Normally 802.1 is in relation to connecting to a Domain - if you are in a workgroup, this is irrelevant - unless you are running a server. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:36:40 pm

Hi
have a look what it is all about. this stuff is too heavy for a novice
Code:
https://www.uio.no/english/services/it/network/student-residential-network/instructions/nm/

:)

netkingcool

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:42:29 am

Hi and thanks to you, Swarfendor437 and zorinantwerp. I think you're both pointing the right direction.

Thank you for your time and for trying to understand, what obviously I cannot clearly explain, due to my lack of knowledge.

My understanding, is that this Forum is by no means a social network and so I would like
to send a PM for each of you, detailing the "behind the scenes" reason for my post ( which is also connected
with my definitive reason to leave Windows for good ). Promise, it won't be too large . . . :)

In the meantime and waiting for your answer regarding the PM, I will consider my questin as solved.

Antonio P.

zorinantwerp

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:01:51 am

Hi Antonio,
we love to read you in PM.
thanks for using Zorin. rest assured if you put your 'software updater' on 'daily' and 'main server' you see plenty of security patches arriving.

:)