This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin not installing on Dell inspiron 14 boot device prob

spartha

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29:25 am

I installed zorin on one of my laptops with dos OS and it worked fine. Then I tried to install it on my dell inspiron 14 that was preloaded with windows 10. Due to space constraint I had to erase the entire OS and load zorin. Upon installing, the laptop says that the bootable device is not found. It allows me to view the live usb version, and asks me to install again. I tried again using the partitions as per some video, but it still does not boot up saying that the bootable device is not found. Please help on this.

Thank you in advance.

zorinantwerp

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58:12 am

Hi

you made the wrong decision in deleting windows as the 'live' zorin when triggered to 'install' asks or the put next linux to windows in dual boot or to overwrite :(

can you confrirm your specs:
Code:
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-14-intel-core-2-duo-t6600/specs

so you should have an DVD burner.

try to install from a dvd instead of an usb it eliminates the issue on usb key not found.
since your memory speed is 800 MHz I would go for Zorin light at first.

I would suggest your read first page 'to install' on the Zorin Blog
Code:
https://zorinos.com/help/install-zorin-os/

the software 'gparted' is the best tool to format. use "ext3" if the drive will only be used with Zorin.

you must ensure the system is using Dell UEFI boot mode as well as enabling Firmware TPM before the installation. secure boot must be off for installation and after installation. legacy Option ROM should be disabled.

please advise outcome of your efforts. thanks :)

spartha

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:19:17 am

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, the device that I have is a basic version, Inspiron 14, 3000 series. It does not come with a dvd drive. Any other option to load using usb or doing something else? I am also trying to look for the windows OS using dell recovery. I believe that the specs are these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJKQ5SK/re ... 6cf19df7c3 . I did upgrade it to 4GB RAM

zorinantwerp

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:54:21 am

Hi

be aware that chief moderator Swarfendor437 wrote about eMMC following

Re: General ssd/eMMC info?
Nearly forgot, DON'T touch eMMC machines with a barge pole - they are worse than Celeron/Sempron machines - if anything goes wrong with those critters you have to bin it - I'd rather spend hard earned cash on an old dual-processor notebook. eMMC is about as useless as a Chromebook!

will revert :)

spartha

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:32:56 am

Thanks.

For now I installed Kubuntu and it managed to work fine. I am wondering if I should now try to install zorin, or just leave as is.

zorinantwerp

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:28:08 pm

Hi

I would stick to Kubuntu which is in the Ubuntu fork of distributions as Zorin is. Just enjoy the use of linux and consider making Zorin (close to windows outlook) one of your future projects :)

cheers

spartha

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:48:56 pm

Thank you..

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:16:58 pm