This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Chromium and Skype always ask for my root password

pcfan5

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:04:48 pm

What can I do to avoid , Chromium and Skype asking me for my root password everytime??
I have foudn a solution in another distro linux forum, they said about installing "seahorse " so that one can access to "keys and passwords", but I don't want to take chaces in Zorin,
Any advice?

Finston Pickle

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:37:39 pm

I press "cancel" two or three times until it lets me in.

I think that it is due to a "keyring feature", which I have never been able to get rid of.

I just treat it as a minor Z12 annoyance and click "cancel" till I'm let into the application (several ask for this password) , as a mindless workaround - easier than entering my password.

The only applications that I really put in my password for are appplications such as Synaptic Package Manager or "gk sudo nautilus" from the command line.

pcfan5

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:19:10 am

Thanks I wish I could get ridd of it. I tried "seahorse" but it is a temporary solution under Zorin.

zorinantwerp

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:12:46 pm

Hi both

in menu goto passwords
you see in the left pane 'default keyring'
get the submenu 'change password'
enter the old password and click continue
the next screen you leave the new password blank
cross fingers :)

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:33:17 pm

Sorry to say, Swarf - but never found "menu".

Where is it?

zorinantwerp

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50:20 pm

it is the evil twin brother of Swarf here

let me think which Zorin OS version you are running?
have you not a search case in which you can insert 'passwords'?

puzzled state :)

as you see in my configuration it is 'unlocked' so I NEVER get any requests popping up for keyring :)

----------
addnl info on menu 'the little dots' up left - my screenprint but remember it is Zorin 12 ultimate

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:37:15 pm

Sorry Zorinantwerp (and Swarf) - I shouldn't have posted when tired.

Zorin 12.4 ultimate being used here.

I guess the menu is what you get by clicking on the black Z in the blue hexagon. Entering "passwords" does indeed lead me to "passwords and keys".

Interestingly, how did you get to see the Zorin dash? - putting that in menu does not do anything.

zorinantwerp

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57:58 pm

Hi Finston

tks for keeping us advised.

re the dash settings click on the little dots (up left in my screen layout )and go into submenu (contains only the dash settings)

interesting is also the dconf editor :)
+++

pcfan5

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31:11 pm

Hi, I am running Zorin Os lite , in order to have Passwords And Keys I had to install "seahorse", I did it thru Synaptics. I am there now in in the left pane 'default keyring' but don't see the submenu "change password", the only way I have to change a password is by entering into the pannel at the right and sellecting both options related to "chrome or chromium"

zorinantwerp

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59:06 pm

Hi pcfan5

tks for advising - hope you try on next Zorin version to install core iso lite :)

+++

pcfan5

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51:05 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi pcfan5

tks for advising - hope you try on next Zorin version to install core iso lite :)

+++

Hi!, I am sorry, I didn't understand, I am in "lite version", I had core for a while but I love "lite" better.

Anyway , am I in the right path? should I do the "password changin thing" you mentioned "enter the old password and click continue", in the Chromium safe store key ?

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:27:01 am

Any password setting in Chrome has nothing to do with the keyring password - the keyring password is a separate OS specific thing. ;)

pcfan5

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:43:23 pm

I am lost now. Zorinanwerp said "enter the old password and click continue" , I am wondering where to do that in this picture, which is related to what he said.

Captura de pantalla_2018-10-10_12-40-04.png

I think I found it by doing left click. Like this:

Captura de pantalla_2018-10-10_12-42-16.png