This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Screen Size

keefefox

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:21:27 pm

I have just installed Zorin Lite on my MSI U100 Netbook, with a screen size of 10 inches. I wanted to install a printer driver for my Brother laser printer and all went well until I had to click on the okay button to install the printer driver. Unfortunately, the window ended below my actual screen and wasn't movable, so I couldn't click on the button to install the driver. I had a look at the video options and whilst I was able to change the resolution but the screen size was identified as 15 inch, which I could not change. I did load the printer driver in the end by connecting the netbook to an external screen, but this was identified as a 17 inch screen although it was actually a 15 inch screen.

Is there anything i can do to correct this as I won't always have access to an external screen and it does seem a bit silly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Keith

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:25:42 pm

See if this old advice from 8 years ago works:

"Light Wind - tips and Tricks for a small screen under Ubuntu
Many programs and web sites these days are written on the assumption that you will have at least a 1024 x 800 screen whilst the Wind U100 has one 1024 x 600.

Change the font size by System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Details and reduce the resolution to say 83 from 96
Hide Panels: Set up the top and bottom panels so they can be hidden - Right click on the panel -> Properties and tick 'show hide buttons' and 'arrows on hide buttons'
Full Screen: Make extensive use of Full Screen in programs that support it by F11
Use Alt click drag or Super click drag : If parts of a Window are still hidden then you can drag a whole Window by Alt Click on any clear area.
You can not drag the sides and corners in the usual way when parts are hidden after an Alt Click drag but if you try a menu allowing selective adjustments appears.
It is possible to change the key from Alt to Super (the Flying Windows key) by System -> Preferences -> Windows if you are using Alt rather than 'Super' with mouseemu for touchpad scrolling with a Sentelic touchpad as per Taming the Sentelic Trackpad
Toolbars: Reduce the number of toolbars in sight on, for example, firefox by View -> Toolbars
Googlebar: You can add a button to the Firefox toolbar to toggle the Googlebar display on and off (Right click on toolbar -> Customise). If you don't use the Googlebar extension you should!
Full Screen Mode keyboard Shortcut: Setup a key binding (Alt + F11) to toggle full screen mode, by System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts > Window Management > Toggle Full screen Mode and do Alt + F11 . If you get screen flickering turn off advanced desktop effects by Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects or see below
Hide all Windows and switching desktops: Lastly don't forget the 'hide all windows' button at the right of the bottom panel and switching Desktops at right of bottom panel - they come into there own on a small screen even if you never usually use them."

Source: http://www.pcurtis.com/wind-lucid.htm

keefefox

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58:46 pm

Thanks