This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Corrupted Desktop

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25:53 pm

I was just doing some tidying up of my laptop when, uncommanded, some app kicked in - I cancelled it immediately.

When I finished deleting all the items from wastebasket and returning to desktop. I found:

Screenshot from 2018-10-08 19-11-42.jpg

The overlay over my desktop was a raised bed that I was considering in the summer and was the subject of the strange app, which started to open and I closed quickly, but not quickly enough it seems.

All looks normal in Home > desktop:

Screenshot from 2018-10-08 19-12-29.jpg

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the overlay to my desktop, please?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:19:27 pm

I was wondering if you installed some sort of random wallpaper changer and it is set to use what you have in your pictures folder? ;)

zorinantwerp

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:07:40 pm

Hi

perhaps you can find here what is triggering the desktop swaps :)

+++

Finston Pickle

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:47:59 pm

Thanks, Swarf. I have now removed all the e-mails and photos that I kept of the raised bed. It does look as though it has replaced my regular view over water wallpaper - so once set, it may be kept.

I used to remember how to see all the Gnome extension information (i'm sure I had it in favourites - but it has gone now), which would tell me the wallaper being used. Can you point me to where to find it, please, Swarf (still would be useful - after see below).

Hold on - was it Tweak tool - I guess it was. There for the desktop background was "raised bed plan layout.jpeg". How do I change this back to the default lake view, please.

Thanks also Zorinantwerp. I had startup applications installed and it indicates the the additional startup programmes are:

Caribou
Indicator messages
Live apt workaround
snap user application autostart helper
SSH key agent

Additionally I have system momitor enabled.

Looking at System Monitor > processes reveals an auful lot of processes running. However Zeitgeist looks familiar as the name of the app which started running before my wallpaper was corrupted. It shows as zeitgeist (deamon, datahub, fts).

ImpWarfare

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31:15 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Thanks, Swarf. I have now removed all the e-mails and photos that I kept of the raised bed. It does look as though it has replaced my regular view over water wallpaper - so once set, it may be kept.

I used to remember how to see all the Gnome extension information (i'm sure I had it in favourites - but it has gone now), which would tell me the wallaper being used. Can you point me to where to find it, please, Swarf (still would be useful - after see below).

Hold on - was it Tweak tool - I guess it was. There for the desktop background was "raised bed plan layout.jpeg". How do I change this back to the default lake view, please.

Thanks also Zorinantwerp. I had startup applications installed and it indicates the the additional startup programmes are:

Caribou
Indicator messages
Live apt workaround
snap user application autostart helper
SSH key agent

Additionally I have system momitor enabled.

Looking at System Monitor > processes reveals an auful lot of processes running. However Zeitgeist looks familiar as the name of the app which started running before my wallpaper was corrupted. It shows as zeitgeist (deamon, datahub, fts).

What happens if you right click on the desktop? On mine it has an option to change wallpaper if not go to the system settings section and then click change background the default wallpapers should be under the section "Wallpapers" your own however should be under "Pictures". I don't use Tweak Tool since I tend to not install any modifications which might compromise the system. Have you done anything which could cause this lets say from the terminal? If so what does the history command line show? This will bring a log of what you've done on the GNOME Terminal app.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23:43 am

Alternatively:

Home | File System | usr | share | backgrounds | zorin.png - set as wallpaper. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07:13 pm

Thanks, Swarf all back to normal now. Lots of coloured beads to you!

I wonder what caused the change?

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:57:35 pm

If you have a wallpaper changer like Variety, it can pickup images stored in locations you had forgotten about - I too suffered what I thought was double vision when my backdrop was a screenshot for a wall I had uploaded! D'OH! :D