This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED]Can't make Compiz work in Zorin

vitaminbooya

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:19:10 am

Hi guys, I'm a Linux noob looking to replace Windows, and I'm thinking Zorin OS 12 is the right one for me. Really enjoying messing around with it so far. The only problem is, I'm a huge fan of window opacity. I've used Glass2k on Windows for years. But I can't seem to find a good way to implement that in Zorin.

When I messed around with Linux Mint, I saw that I was able to make that work pretty well with Compiz. So I tried installing Compiz on Zorin, but after punching "compiz --replace" in the Terminal, my window title bars disappeared, along with the panel. I tried Compiz reloaded, and the title bars are still there, but super ugly, and the panel is still gone. And I can't seem to search by hitting the Super key anymore.

I tried Glassy GNOME as an alternative to Compiz, but it was incredibly buggy for me, and really just didn't work the way I was hoping it would.

This is driving me nuts. Anyone got any ideas on how I can make this work? I just want simple, reliable window opacity in Zorin, without changing the theme or breaking functionality of the OS.

Thanks!

zorinantwerp

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:37:14 am

Hi
most simple is to re-install Zorin OS 12.4
prepare for crashes - the warning is given for a reason :)

youtube has some videos
you want to read reddit comments
Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/6v1v03/compizcompiz_fusion_or_compiz_reloaded/

+++

vitaminbooya

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:25:09 pm

I'm actually running a live session from a USB stick, just to try it out. I've reformatted and reinstalled Zorin on the stick a few times.

Is it possible that being a live session is part of the problem?

zorinantwerp

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:46:16 pm

Hi

installing anything in a live session is a waste of time as it will be lost on reboot. a live session retains nothing on reboot.

+++

vitaminbooya

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45:50 am

Yeah I'm aware of that, I'm just using it to test out different distros. Do you think Compiz wouldn't work correctly during a live session?

zorinantwerp

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05:05 am

no - plse check wikipedia for more info

GNOME version 3.0 uses GNOME Shell which is built as a plugin to the Mutter compositing window manager.This means Compiz cannot be used in conjunction with GNOME Shell.

+++

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:23:36 pm

If you are in much need of Compiz I would download Makulu Flash which works out of the box (even in live mode as it is built in, has a neat 'on/off' switch and when on disables any themes that might cause confusion/conflict. When 'LeThe' from Makulu comes out it will bring back the 3d effect of open windows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ETZYND-iI

Due out late November/Early December. ;) :D

vitaminbooya

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:36:05 pm

Thanks to this thread, I checked out GNOME Shell Extensions and found the Transparent Window extension. I had to disable extension validation to do it, but it worked!

Thanks guys!

zorinantwerp

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:13:16 pm

sigh

suggest to close

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:30:31 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:sigh

suggest to close

:?:

Screenshot from 2018-10-30 21-24-22.jpg

zorinantwerp

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:18:29 pm

a hippo as road sign lol so I guess not a lightweight distro

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50:37 am

zorinantwerp wrote:a hippo as road sign lol so I guess not a lightweight distro

Apparently lighter (base iso is 1.9 Gb) and Flash is based on xfce - like Zorin Lite but is based on Debian Stable. ;)

Makulu is Zulue for 'The Big Chief' or 'Big Daddy' - hence the hippo, plus Jacque Raymer is from South Africa - hence the Hippo - it all 'ties in'. :D