This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

no touchpad settings

naggis

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:20:59 pm

I am completely new to Linux and chose Zorin as it seemed to be a good substitute for Windows that I have been using since Windows 95 but am now very frustrated with. After using Zorin exclusively for one week I am sold - no real problems found - it just works.
There is a BUT. I must be touching the touchpad without realising and the screen jumps uncontrollably. I expected to find settings for the touchpad which would allow all activities to be stopped apart from simply moving the cursor around the screen. The only reference I can find to the touchpad is in Mouse and Touchpad under System Settings but there is absolutely no means of accessing any settings for the touchpad and almost nothing for the mouse. As I use an HP G72 laptop, a mouse is not wanted.
Please could someone point this new boy in the right direction.
Thanks for any help

zorinantwerp

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:52:18 am

Hi

pls use 'search' to pick up earlier threads :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14077&hilit=touchpad

+++

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07:15 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

pls use 'search' to pick up earlier threads :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14077&hilit=touchpad

+++

Hi zorinantwerp,

From previous experience myself, search doesn't always work, aka, "not enough search parameters as 'mouse' and 'touchpad' are common words" et al.

Your link should help. Basically I think it may be down to having to install Cinammon DE which gives that bit extra in terms of touchpad/mouse control?

There may also be some Gnome Shell Extensions? I'm still on Lite at present and don't know if I can continue with the Zorin Lite Manual - time will tell - I am missing Ultimate Core terribly (Posted from my Feren OS installation! ;) :D )

Finston Pickle

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33:51 pm

I have had this touchpad problem for a long time.

What exactly is "Cinammon DE"?

It is obviously possible to use it - as ZorinAntwerp has shown - but, are there any downsides?

zorinantwerp

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:18:53 pm

Hi

Cinnamon is another Desktop Environment that was built by Linux Mint Team for unhappy users of Gnome.
Cinnamon 4.0.0 is the current release (4 november 2018). Cinnamon is available for many distros besides Mint, including Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, Debian, and OpenSUSE.

PRO
Integration
Desklets
Speed
Configuration
Flexibility
Multiple workspaces
Stability

AGAINST
the outlook is a taste of the past

+++

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:22:51 pm

Not forgetting Feren OS (English derivative of Mint) and Makulu LinDoz. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32:04 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Not forgetting Feren OS (English derivative of Mint) and Makulu LinDoz. ;) :D

selling his soul to the devil to make his new rig work :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:25:45 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Not forgetting Feren OS (English derivative of Mint) and Makulu LinDoz. ;) :D

selling his soul to the devil to make his new rig work :mrgreen:

Nope! Feren OS actually saved my Zorin Bacon but M$ killed it!