This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How do I change my default audio device?

slanto

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:40:11 pm

Hello and thank you for reading this. I'll cut right to the chase to what solutions I'm looking for.

1. My mother's laptop is connected to a TV using an HDMI cable.
In sound settings, I can change the audio source from the built-in speakers of the laptop, to the TV itself.
However, when I restart the computer, this setting does not appear to be saved. This has to be done manually every time. What can I do to make it so that the HDMI Audio port is used as a default device, rather than having to do this manually each time?

zorinantwerp

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:27:02 pm

Hi

please let know which version of Zorin OS you use version 12.4? light - core - ultimate?
Am I correct that no windows (dual boot) is installed.

Will then try to repeat your setup

+++

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32:06 pm

Hi, Please view this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14035

Basically Team Zorin are aware of issues with Wine as outlined in this thread. I had major issues too and the only way I could get it back was to remove everything and reinstall to the latest version (3?) and then it was asking for some bizarre packages like Bison and something else - it then worked. I can't say any more at present as my Zorin Lite has gone west (bizarrely can log in as 'root') and not sure if to do with new rig or hard drive issues - am about to post another 'how to' on a different recovery issue (loss of /home) to the one covered when 'root' goes West! ;) :D

Team Zorin are addressing the issue for the next major release and once that has been ironed out they are hoping to filter that through to users of 12.4 in due course.

slanto

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58:03 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

please let know which version of Zorin OS you use version 12.4? light - core - ultimate?
Am I correct that no windows (dual boot) is installed.

Will then try to repeat your setup

+++

Certainly, I have Zorin OS Core 12.4 There is no dual boot. It's completely stand alone. Updates have been installed as well.

I also don't know if this is worth mentioning as well, but normally, I install Foobar2000 from Windows into Linux-based operating systems. As mentioned before, installing works, executing the applications don't.
Yet for some reason, Foobar2000 appeared in the Software Center of Zorin OS, that still used Wine somehow, and now, only Foobar2000 works.

slanto

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05:43 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Please view this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14035

Basically Team Zorin are aware of issues with Wine as outlined in this thread. I had major issues too and the only way I could get it back was to remove everything and reinstall to the latest version (3?) and then it was asking for some bizarre packages like Bison and something else - it then worked. I can't say any more at present as my Zorin Lite has gone west (bizarrely can log in as 'root') and not sure if to do with new rig or hard drive issues - am about to post another 'how to' on a different recovery issue (loss of /home) to the one covered when 'root' goes West! ;) :D

Team Zorin are addressing the issue for the next major release and once that has been ironed out they are hoping to filter that through to users of 12.4 in due course.

I see. That's very interesting. When this major release comes out, I'm assuming it comes with the automatic updates that Zorin releases, or do I have to do something special in order to grab it?

zorinantwerp

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:41:02 pm

Next release is early 2019 and it Will
be possible to upgrade from lite and core.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32:56 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Next release is early 2019 and it Will
be possible to upgrade from lite and core.

So late Fall is now late Winter? ;)

slanto

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23:35 pm

Well, I guess to fix the Wine problem, I just have to wait.
What about the sound device setting? How do I set my HDMI to my default device so that I don't have to set it manually after every restart?

zorinantwerp

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:41:06 pm

Hi

sorry for the delay. well I did most simple to connect my laptop with my TV by HDMI cable.
went into settings to sound and selected as per printscreen. no wine needed.
is it of any help?

slanto

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:07:17 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

sorry for the delay. well I did most simple to connect my laptop with my TV by HDMI cable.
went into settings to sound and selected as per printscreen. no wine needed.
is it of any help?

While I have done that, after I shutdown my laptop, I have to re-do this. Is there a way for this setting to be saved?

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:29:08 pm

slanto

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:57:13 am

I will give this a try. Thank you.

slanto

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:38:22 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, see if this works for you:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... untu-16-04
You are a life saver. Thank you so much. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:47:14 pm