This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

USB flash disks/drives not detected/mounted after update

madvinegar

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49:40 pm

Hello to all.

I experienced a very weird problem a few days ago and since I have found a solution I would like to share it with you (as I have seen that a lot of people - even using other distros - have the same problem).

I have installed zorin 5.2 in 5 computers (laptops and PCs). I did not have any problem.

Only in one laptop (Toshiba Satellite L10-119) I had this weird problem.

After an update of the last kernel (2.6.38.13) the usb flash disks were not detected and consequently mounted. I could see them in lsusb but not at fdisk -l.
I saw that if the USB flash disks were plugged before booting the laptop, they were detected.
If they were plugged after the laptop booted, they could not be detected.

I also found out that I could detect them manually by writing as root in terminal "modprobe usb-storage", but then again after a boot (unplugged) they were not detected.

The problem was - I don't know why - that after the update the module "usb-storage" was not auto-loaded at startup. It was not a faulty installation or update because I have formated the laptop and done everything again from the beginning. Still the same problem so it must be somekind of bug probably for some motherboards of Toshibas(?).

So I used again terminal (as root) and through gedit I opened /etc/modules and I have added as first line usb_storage. When I say "first line" I do not mean the top of the page, but the first line of the modules (if this plays any role).

After that, usb-storage was loaded at startup and everything works fine. The usb disks are detected/mounted immediatelly even after reboot unplugged.

Hope this helps.

Could someone declare this topic as [solved] ?