This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Map NAS shared drive in Zorin 5.2

matar-alloo

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:43:48 pm

Hello,

I have a Network Access Storage drive hooked up to my router via Ethernet cable. I want to see the drive in the Zorin 5.2 OS but I can't figure out how to make it work.

In Windows 7 it's very simple...I just click "Map Network Drive" then I type the path which is "//nas/public" and the username and password.

I'm looking to do the same thing in Zorin. Can someone please guide me? I'm not an experienced user.

Thanks.

nid

Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32:49 am

matar-alloo wrote:Hello,

I have a Network Access Storage drive hooked up to my router via Ethernet cable. I want to see the drive in the Zorin 5.2 OS but I can't figure out how to make it work.

In Windows 7 it's very simple...I just click "Map Network Drive" then I type the path which is "//nas/public" and the username and password.

I'm looking to do the same thing in Zorin. Can someone please guide me? I'm not an experienced user.

Thanks.

I am assuming your NAS is a samba share.

There are a few ways to do it. The easiest way and if you do not wish to have it mount everytime you booting up Zorin. You can open up Nautilus > Go > Location

Then just type in:
Code:
smb://nas/public

You can then bookmarks it if you wish, So next time you don't have to type it in.

If you want to have it permanently mounted everytime you boot up Zorin then you will have to edit your /etc/fstab. You may have to install smbfs as well.
Code:
sudo apt-get install smbfs

Then make the mount point
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/smbtest

You can replace "smbtest" to whatever you like.

Then try the command and see if you can mount the share drive
Code:
sudo mount -t smbfs //nas/public /mnt/smbtest

matar-alloo

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:43:20 am

Hey guys thanks for replying. I'm still not having luck though.

I tried nid's suggestion because that seems to be more what I'm trying to do. I went to Nautilus > Go > Location and typed in "smb://nas/public" (without the quotes of course) and I got an error message stating "Could not display "smb://nas/public. Error: Failed to mount Windows share. Please select another viewer and try again."

I'm not familiar with what a "samba share" is. My NAS is a Western Digital MyBook World Edition 2. It's hooked up directly to my wireless router. After mapping it, I'm expecting it to pop up as a separate drive.

Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks!

nid

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:05:04 am

Try Nautilus > Go > Network and see what you can find under there. There might be something under Windows Network and/or Workgroup. Just see if you can get to your NAS that way.

nid

Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:13:13 pm

I'm not sure why matar-alloo is getting the error in Nautilus when tried to type in the location. Even smba and smbfs were not install by default (I didn't install them either). I was be able to see two of my NAS boxes, one is a D-link store bought and the other is a homebrew FreeNAS.

matar-alloo

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:05:18 pm

Thanks again for replying. I finally got it to work.

First I went into my NAS configuration URL and changed the workgroup name to match my computer workgroup name. Then I found the program "pyNeighborhood" in Zorin. This program is a bit more intuitive for me and I was able to map my NAS folders using it. I wasn't able to make it work with the other methods mentioned, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction!