This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 -> 12.4

Zeedarn

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:08:33 am

Is this possible?

Running the software update tool i got prompted i could do a partial distro upgrade.

Not very keen on formatting for every new update.

Oh, and about updates. Is this the correct way to update?

zorinantwerp

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:06:54 pm

Hi Zeedarn

For sake of good order please check
https://zorinos.com/help/upgrade-zorin-os/

To answer your question:
Zorin OS version 12 is based on the rolling release model (also known as Continuous Delivery) which has two characteristics. The first one is that you install your OS version only once and then never again. The second is that the operating system gets continuously updated - at present 12.4 (see setting under systems the update icon). Updates will continue until April 2021.

In January next a new version is being scheduled. I expect a full install will be required if an existing user wishes to upgrade between versions.

cheers

clounie

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57:39 pm

It does seem a bit odd that we have to re-install going from version to version, when something like Ubuntu 16.04 --> 18.04 does not require a re-install.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:08:22 pm

HI, Ubuntu is Ubuntu, Zorin is a fork of Ubuntu. The next major release will be exactly that, a major release and ironically, based on 18.04.1. The intention is to get full integration with flatpak and snap application managers. Team Zorin are doing a major rewrite of the OS, hence why it won't be possible to migrate to the newer version. ;) :D

clounie

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31:21 pm

Understand haha. Sounds exciting! Thanks for all y'alls work! 8-)

wombat140

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:07:59 pm

Hmm, does Zorin 12 have to be automatic upgrades? You can't turn that off? I have various sensory issues, etc., which require me to set my computer up very carefully before I can tolerate it, as regards graphics, animations, etc., so I really like my computer to stay how I expect it to be and not change stuff of its own accord.
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, Clounie, you seemed to have finished and it was a good place to ask.

zorinantwerp

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:46:50 pm

Hi

under the icon 'software& updates you find 'settings' where you can determe not to receive 'updates'.

+++