This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 conundrum

Finston Pickle

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:00:08 pm

I am just starting to think about what to do with my Toshiba Satellite, Zorin 9 laptop, when support runs out for Z9 in 2019. It has worked faultlessly to date.

Do I:-

Treat it like my heritage Windows XP desktop and use it to replace said XP machine - largely for off-line activities - and forget about O/S and other updates.

OR

Install Zorin 14 (Ubuntu 18) and restore my Z9 "home" contents with backups - then restore missing key apps (Gdebi, Ubuntu tweak etc.) and greyed out apps (the good ones I keep on the desktop) using Synaptic file manager.

zorinantwerp

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17:05 pm

Hi Finston

In your place I would wait till the beta of next release which comes early January and see from there on system requirements.
The light version is supposed to run on laptops as old as 15 years but I wonder is your Satellite 32 bit kernel?

Best Wishes for 2019 and I hope to read your valuable contributions also in the New Year.

:)

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30:43 am

Hi Finston, backup the entire OS after you have removed the data to see if you can create a personalised *.iso then install it as a VM on the final release of the new Zorin! ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:14:21 pm

My Toshiba Satellite is 64 bit and probably 4+ years old now.

Running the .iso as a VM on the final release of the new Zorin sounds like a good idea for Zorin 9ers with a good set up (lots of useful apps and settings).

Perhaps a sticky on how to get a Redo .iso onto a VM could be a New Year project, Swarf / Zorinantwerp!

Best wishes for 2019 to all thread contributors.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46:32 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:My Toshiba Satellite is 64 bit and probably 4+ years old now.

Running the .iso as a VM on the final release of the new Zorin sounds like a good idea for Zorin 9ers with a good set up (lots of useful apps and settings).

Perhaps a sticky on how to get a Redo .iso onto a VM could be a New Year project, Swarf / Zorinantwerp!

Best wishes for 2019 to all thread contributors.

There are apparently two options:

1. https://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/

2. https://pinguyos.com/2015/09/pinguy-bui ... mix-buntu/

:D :D :D

Finston Pickle

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:24:57 pm

Thanks, Swarf - I will look into these options