This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trouble Dual Booting with Windows 10

RexFlorida

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:17:08 am

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and know just enough about working with operating systems to get myself in trouble which is what I appear to have done. I just installed Zorin OS 12.4 Core 64-bit on its own partition with a second partition for Swap in the hope of dual booting with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7). I have an Intel Core i3 530 with a 1 terabyte hard drive and 17 Gb RAM. Windows is on NTFS formatted drives. I chose the "Other" option and installed to partitions that I had created earlier. I answered the question about the boot record by installing it to \. Now, when I start the computer it goes right to Grub and there appear to be entries for Windows 7 and Windows 10. But when I choose them they take me somewhere that does not get me into Windows. When I choose to boot into Zorin it works fine. Is there a way to get Grub pointing in the right direction to get me into Windows 10 without uninstalling? I've read a number of your installation/dual booting threads and none have described that problem. I also watched a couple videos you all recommended (after the fact) and am wishing I had seen the one on non-traditional installation beforehand. The next part of the question is, if I do have to undo what I have done, how do I restore the Windows MBR when I can't get into Windows? Thank you for your help.

RexFlorida

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07:34 pm

Hi and welcome. Please could you find your live Zorin disk, boot from that and then run Gparted (Partition Editor) and please take a screenshot so we can establish what is where. To take a screenshot go to Menu | Accessories | Screenshot. Be sure to save as a. jpg file as. png is quite large. You mentioned GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader has entries for both 7 and 10 which I find confusing - there should only be Windows 10 if you upgraded correctly. I am asking you to bot from live disc as after installation, Gparted gets removed.

RexFlorida

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58:43 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have attached the screenshot you asked for. Please allow me to clarify a little of what happens when I try to boot Windows. I can easily arrow down to the Windows 10 entry and press enter. After a few moments the boot loader screen reloads and then continues into Zorin OS. I'm wondering if it's a simple matter of editing the boot loader and pointing that entry to the right place. However, I would still need instructions on how to do that.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:38:43 pm

Hi, please follow the first part only of the following tutorial:

https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to ... error.html

RexFlorida

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17:32 pm

Hi again,

I followed the directions in the first part of the tutorial. It would have been wonderfully simple if only it had worked. The situation remains unchanged. It did rebuild the boot record but it behaved the same way. In case it helps, I took a picture of the boot loader screen that I get which I am uploading. I was expecting to see the Windows Bootloader that I always saw before I installed Zorin but that's not what I see anymore. I also tried choosing the Windows 7 option just to see what happened and received an error message saying that the device was not available. I'm just telling you everything I can think of in the hopes that something will be the key thing you need to know. I appreciate all your help.

RexFlorida

zorinantwerp

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:34:30 pm

Hi

suggest you bite the bullet and be brave by restarting with a solid configuration. depending your hardware you should need to decide on a strategy suitable for you.

perhaps you can run linux on a virtual drive under windows or the way around. for instance I run ms-dos and windows 7 under Wine emulator (standard delivered with Zorin core).

interesting is
Code:
https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/easily-create-windows-10-bootable-usb-ubuntu

you need also to read abit about BIOS and UEFI which could relate to your laptop/pc

success :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:51:11 pm

Can we be clear that you have Windows 7 installed on the system? And before you go any further back up any critical data you have on Zorin install? Next you will need Windows 7 repair disc or a Windows 7 media that matches your Windows 7 version. When booting from Windows 7 disc choose the repair option and drop to the advanced options in CMD prompt and enter:

Code:
Bootrec. exe /repair

This should at least bring your Windows 7 back to life. ;) :D

RexFlorida

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:58:58 pm

Well, I booted into recovery mode. First I tried a non destructive recovery and it failed. Then I tried a complete recovery to factory condition and it failed. Now I can't boot even using the Zorin live USB stick.