This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Visual accessibility in Zorin

JotaJota

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55:20 pm

Hello!. I am new to the forum, I speak Spanish so please excuse my English.

All my life I have used Windows, but I want to switch to Linux. The problem is that I need an operating system which has characteristics of visual accessibility (screen magnifier).
In Windows I use the built-in magnifier (with the keys: Win + +, Win + -, Win + Esc) with the default settings.
But I have tried the Zorin screen enlargement option and it does not work correctly. For example: when you activate it, sometimes it changes places without having moved the mouse, sometimes it focuses the cursor to write instead of the mouse
I saw on YouTube that you can also use a feature that incorporates Compiz, but it does not work, it does not enlarge the screen.

What do you recommend? How can I solve these problems?
If you need more information, you can ask me.
Thank you!

Finston Pickle

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15:47 pm

Look here for ideas viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12821

- good luck!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18:38 pm

Hola! Bienvenida! Have you checked these settings out?:

Selection_013.jpg

You may also want to download the Spanish unofficial manual that pcfan5 kindly modified to reflect a Spanish desktop:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14096

If none of this has helped, please get back to us. ;) :D

You may also wish to take a look at dconf-editor (to install if not present, open a terminal [Ctrl+ Alt+ T] and enter):

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

dconf-editor accessibility.jpg

JotaJota

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:37:20 am

Thank you very much for answering

Finston Pickle wrote:Look here for ideas viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12821
- good luck!

I saw that post but I think it does not help me with the magnifier problem.
Enlarging the letter helps me, but sometimes it is necessary to use the magnifier.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hola! Bienvenida! Have you checked these settings out?:

dconf-editor accessibility.jpg

I checked that configuration, but it does not solve the problem. The options offered by that window are very limited.

About the dconf-editor, I did not fully understand his options.

i did a test and discovered that the magnifier changes what is shown on the screen following the object that has the focus. I do not want him to do that, I want him to just follow the mouse pointer. Do you know how to change that?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01:54 pm

I'm at work at moment and eldest been in hospital again recently so please be patient. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59:32 pm

Hi JotaJota,

will try to assist pal

goto Terminal program (use keys) Ctrl+Alt+t
insert after ~$
sudo apt install --no-install-recommends kmag

30 MB will be installed on your laptop
when done look for the program KMag
what you ask for the cursor to magnify an area is included
use F6 to toggle between a hidden and visible mouse cursor.

but if it should NOT suit your requirements you may delete the program by using

sudo apt autoremove

good luck :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36:27 pm

What about this?

Screenshot from 2019-01-10 22-31-07.png

If possible can you capture Windows screenshot of what you want to achieve?

JotaJota

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26:41 am

To explain the problem better, I recorded the screen of the same action in Windows and in Zorin, in which the difference is explained.
(video on google drive)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hIO_gANBmleX0tPjHsCaZOf3Oi07lMrP/view

As seen in the video, the problem is those sudden changes when opening or changing the window.

In Windows, this is the magnifier settings:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KPPz0JnEyLm5yeC6b1qSkmsBXlarZoMr

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27:06 am

Hi, The settings image does not appear to have uploaded. Can you ensure you try and post images as. jpg and no greater than 278 kb? Thanks.

JotaJota

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:44:34 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, The settings image does not appear to have uploaded. Can you ensure you try and post images as. jpg and no greater than 278 kb? Thanks.

Fixed up

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:30:04 pm

Hi I could not get to the same settings in Windows 7 I guess because you are using Vista? I have tried to replicate the settings in Zorin and I too get the jumping around. Do you use proprietary Graphics drivers or the default GNU/Linux nouevau drivers? The accessibility suite is written by the Gnome Project team which is outside of Zorin's control but Zorin is one of the few distributions that can get the inclusion of accessibility correctly. Whilst the issue here is not with regard to a screen reader, Zorin made a better choice ditching AWN (Avant Window Navigator) which would not work with Gnome Orca screen reader. I would suggest now that you should approach the Gnome Accessibility project and report your findings there as I suspect it may be an issue with other GNU/Linux distributions unless you know otherwise.

zorinantwerp

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14:59 pm

Hi

I can see the jpg's :)
from what I read on features in Ubuntu 17.10 it might be that Gnome/windows/sloppy or secondary click is suitable to assist you.
wait and see for the new Zorin release

thanks for your patience

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:27:31 pm

Hi. just been messing with Voyager 18.10 - magnification zoom function a lot smoother but keyboard settings for English messed up on cover disc on LXF! :lol:

JotaJota

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:08:54 pm

I'm using Windows 7 ultimate (SP1).
When installing Zorin on a physical computer I have not installed the graphics drivers. In the virtual machine (VirtualBox) I have installed the Guest Additions.
I will research the Gnome Project and consult in one of its forums.
¡Thank you all for helping me and orienting me!