This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Clamtk in "Software"

zabadabadoo

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56:12 pm

I have recently installed and started using Zorin 12.4 Core. Happy so far.
I am a bit puzzled by there being 2 instances of ClamTK in "Software", even more puzzled when I installed one, both show up as Installed.

Can someone please explain this phenomenon?

I am pleased that by Installing ClamTK, ClamAV then works without further installation.

Also found this useful but closed thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13405

(Edit: I see from Swarf's screenshot from that thread that he also has 2x ClamTK items listed. I have highlighted in cropped screenshot attached.)

zorinantwerp

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53:54 pm

Hi

I wonder if I get away with this reply :)

ClamTk is a graphical front-end for Clam Antivirus.
There are two classes of clamav packages available for Ubuntu users:

Released Set
The released set (release, *-updates, and *-security) are patched for security updates. Following extensive testing of clamav and the packages that use it in the backports repository, they may be updated to a newer version. These are official Ubuntu packages and supported by community developers.

Backports
The Ubuntu backports repository will contain the newest clamav version that has been at least lightly tested to work with that version. These packages can be installed by enabling the backports repository on your system.
Ubuntu packages are maintained by Ubuntu MOTU Developers.

+++

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59:48 pm

Check which launches the interface then use Menu Editor to uncheck without removing. ;) :D

zabadabadoo

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09:34 pm

Thank you for your replies, but I am still puzzled.
Software shows two items for ClamTk.
First is 29.7kB and describes file scanner using mouse right click.
Second is 1.5MB and describes on demand scanner.
See screenshot of "Software" listing attached:
However, when installed the icons cannot be differentiated i.e. they appear identical. Also using either seems to launch the ClamTk GUI anyhow.

Looking on ClamTk (GitHub) website, there is mention of an additional package for right click file scan. That may explain the two items in "Software". But doesn't explain use of two launch icons.

Screenshot Software list.png
Screenshot Software List ClamTk item 1.png
Screenshot Software List ClamTk item 2.png
Screenshot from ClamTk website markup.png

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:45:28 pm

I suspect a glitch - for some time there was an issue of an element of clam tk in earlier versions so suspect that it may relate to the installer? ;)