This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Incorrect password (Zorin Lite)

IdaH

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14:23 pm

A big hello to all of you fine people! :)

So, I finally decided to give Linux a go and installed the newest Zorin Lite from the official page a few days ago. The dual boot installation went smoothly, but when I tried to login to my user, I got an incorrect password error, despite the password being correct. I would repeat it over and over again but couldn't get through. I set a strong password with characters, so first I tried writing it as I would on an EN language keyboard (eventhough I set my language preferences to my native language during installation). Still, I got the same error. Then, I tried this:

https://invidio.us/watch?v=_jr6ifN7-lk

After I succeeded in doing that (password updated successfully), I tried to login again after reboot with the new password. This time, I do not get an incorrect password error; instead, the screen flashes black and after that returns me to a blank user login window. It does this over and over again. And I used a really simple password this time.

What am I to do? Uninstall and reinstall? Create a new user and delete the old one? Also, dunno if this has any bearing, but I think I set the home folder to be encrypted during install.

Sorry to trouble you with this n00b stuff, I just have no idea how to go about this, especially since I now have a default Zorin boot loader and Windows on my other partition and don't wanna screw up my laptop startup.

Greets,

Ida

zorinantwerp

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:27:46 pm

Hi Ida

can you have a look here please
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7TTD_UUUjQ&ab_channel=quidsup

and advise of any help

:)

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:55:22 pm

I created a how to to cover all bases:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14197

ian4238

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:14:42 pm

I wonder if Ida has a smaller notebook/laptop with no number section on right side of keyboard. I have an 11" notebook: Acer Aspire 1410 DualCore 1.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. About 2 months ago I decided to remove Makulu LInux and install latest Linux Lite (XFCE). Installed OK, but then gave me "wrong password" on login. Reading online I found some other people using Xubuntu with same problem. While installing OS F11/NumLk is engaged (don't know why) so then user and password you used are actually different (U=4, I=5,O=6 etc). I tried changing the password but got bogged down, gave up, and found old USB of Zorin 12.2 lite available. Installed that and then updated. Problem solved. Can't find this problem discussed in forums.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:19:10 pm

ian4238 wrote:I wonder if Ida has a smaller notebook/laptop with no number section on right side of keyboard. I have an 11" notebook: Acer Aspire 1410 DualCore 1.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. About 2 months ago I decided to remove Makulu LInux and install latest Linux Lite (XFCE). Installed OK, but then gave me "wrong password" on login. Reading online I found some other people using Xubuntu with same problem. While installing OS F11/NumLk is engaged (don't know why) so then user and password you used are actually different (U=4, I=5,O=6 etc). I tried changing the password but got bogged down, gave up, and found old USB of Zorin 12.2 lite available. Installed that and then updated. Problem solved. Can't find this problem discussed in forums.

Well it could be that it just hasn't happened in Zorin ... yet! All Zorin releases are based on Ubuntu:

https://www.linuxslaves.com/2016/05/3-w ... -loop.html

It happened to me in FerenOS which is a hybrid of Ubuntu and Debian, a bit like Makulu Linux was at version 10 of Lindoz - now at version 15.0 it is pure Debian based.

IdaH

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53:46 pm

Thanks, guys! I'll try out your suggestions soon and report :)

Oh, and I do have the full keyboard with num lock keys (15" Asus K55A).

IdaH

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36:08 pm

I have tried all of the options above and none of them worked, I still get stuck in the loop. What now? :/

Is there a way for me to somehow delete the exsisting user and create a new one that would not get stuck in the loop, or should I just reinstall Zorin? I have a dual boot PC and no recovery disk for Windows 10, and if I understand correctly, I can't just delete the Linux partitions, because I will still have the Linux bootloader, which might cause boot issues for Windows.

zorinantwerp

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51:54 pm

Hi

if you google 'how to uninstall ubuntu from windows dual boot' you find several papers on the issue
you may read 'https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/'

if you install linux take the same password as your user name (to change later on) and NEVER encrypt during installation

good luck :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08:42 pm

That's why I would always do the Matthew Moore method of dual-booting the non-traditional way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

The video relates to Windows 8 but still valid for 10. :) :D

If you had deleted your X authority file that should have done it?